JACK/LV2 CV

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Capoeira
Established Member

Re: JACK/LV2 CV

Post by Capoeira »

I will look into the software you pointed out
milk wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:26 am

Edit; specifically multimedia keys; would that be like an "up" and "down" two key kinda thing, or a one key to set to a preset level?
I want to use the volume_up and volume_down keys to turn the volume knob in LSP's volume compensator: https://lsp-plug.in/?page=manuals&secti ... omp_stereo
I do use Carla
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Capoeira wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:41 am I want to use the volume_up and volume_down keys to turn the volume knob in LSP's volume compensator: https://lsp-plug.in/?page=manuals&secti ... omp_stereo
I do use Carla
The buttons can give a relative "+1" and "-1" for something, but the volume CC automation expects an absolute 0-127 CC value, so there needs to be something in the middle that remembers the state to allow the conversion.

I haven't dived into MIDI transformation plugins for a bit, but I can't think of one that does this directly (maybe iirc there are some Program Change plugins that work with +1 and -1, so CC2PC conversion then back or such, or maybe I'm thinking of just notes to PC, it has been a while). Instead, the use of some level of MIDI scripting would allow the easy setting of a variable for this. I've used Mididings (Python DSL) for this before. Or there is plugin Moony.lv2 (Lua). Etc. Some how bind the media keys to fire notes or CCs, then convert those actions to increment or decrement a variable, then fire that off as a CC.

You probably don't need CV for this task, unless you wanted a volume resolution larger than 128 (or had MIDI hardware that sends higher resolution control by using a combo of MSB and LSB and wanted to write/script a plugin to convert that to digital CV).

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Alex of Zrythm using CV from ZLFO to pulse Cardinal room brightness.

edit: oops, dead link now, Mastodon.social not a permanent file hosting solution then

eufex
Established Member

Post by eufex »

This is rad

cindrela80

Post by cindrela80 »

The LV2 format also allows for metadata relating to the min, max and "unit" values for the CVPort. Carla also passes this metadata on to any exposed JACK CV ports, plus Carla allows plug-in parameters to be exposed as CV ports. There is also carla-git / carla-debug-git (better crash information) available in the AUR for Arch (and Manjaro, etc. users).

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

stonekonerz

Post by stonekonerz »

I'm so interested in all this now because JACK2 gained support (although, at this very moment, it has turned out that there is a big problem with JACK2 internal clients and metadata, a problem that shows up when you rename those clients).
fmwa
yowa