Issues with recording with audacity + rakarak!!

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

michealgimies

Issues with recording with audacity + rakarak!!

Post by michealgimies »

I'm using Ubuntu studio.. Trying to record using rakarak for guitar effects and audacity to record the tracks.. Everything is fine except one issue I can't seem to change the effect per track.. For example if I record one track with say a distortion and reverb and sustain than a track over that using phaser it will than just apply phaser to both tracks.. How so I record with this and apply different effects per track need some help here
Musicteacher
Established Member

Re: Issues with recording with audacity + rakarak!!

Post by Musicteacher »

Hi,
in Order to help you you will have to explain much more exactly what you are doing.

I am not using rakarak, but I assume that it is a standalone jack-aware software.

If so, you can set audacity to jack as host and select rakarak as record-source. Then you can record what you are playing, audacity is recording the wet signal. This track will stay that way no matter how you change rakarak settings later!

You might have done the following: Record your dry signal with audacity, plug the audacity-output into rakarak and the rakarak-output to your speakers. This would explain why your effects change for all tracks.

Audacity is more an audio-editor than a DAW, it does not (or at least used to) allow for realtime-effects. So if you want to be able to change the effects aferwards, you should use a different software (like ardour or qtractor, there are many others).
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I think you'll have to connect outputs to inputs using Qjackctl.
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

From what you describe, what might be happening is that you think you're recording Rakarrack, but in fact what Audacity is recording is the direct input from the guitar. Then that recorded track gets directed to Rakarrack, and that's why it changes as you change Rakarrack settings.

To test this, try disconnecting Rakarrack and play the tracks you've recorded. If this is what is happening, they will sound to plain electric guitar, without effects or distortion whatsoever.

(If the track volume is low, select it first and go to effect>normalize; this amplifies the volume to as high as it can get).

To choose what gets recorded in Audacity, use the pull down options marked in the screenshot (maybe in your Audacity version they are at a different position). You have to select "Jack" instead of Alsa, and then in the input dropdown you will surely get an option for Rakarrack.

Another thing to be aware of is the order in which you initiate programs: first Qjackctl, then Rakarrack (which needs qjackctl to work), and finally Audacity. If you open Audacity before Rakarrack, it won't refresh its options when Rakarrack appears, so the option you need won't be in the drop down (at least this is true for Guitarix, I guess it will be the same for Rakarrack).
pantallazo4555.jpg
pantallazo4555.jpg (29.81 KiB) Viewed 697 times