Looking for a new sample editing tool

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

User avatar
d.healey
Established Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: Looking for a new sample editing tool

Postby d.healey » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:19 pm

rghvdberg wrote:The latter could be achieved with carla. Just drop couple of rubberband ladspa plugins in it. Set up routing and automation.

I have a few questions:

  • Why use Carla and not Ardour's internal routing?
  • How would I route a mono track and two stereo tracks in such a way that the phase relationship is maintained when using Rubberband? I don't want them to be "in phase" because they naturally go in and out of phase. I want to retain that natural phase difference without creating other side-effects.
  • I can't see a way to automate plugins inside Carla

User avatar
Michael Willis
Established Member
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:27 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains, North America
Contact:

Re: Looking for a new sample editing tool

Postby Michael Willis » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:49 am

Any update on this? I don't see why Carla would be necessary, since the LADSPA plugin can be loaded directly in Ardour. If rubberband won't work, I'll get started on developing a plugin using SoundTouch.

User avatar
d.healey
Established Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: Looking for a new sample editing tool

Postby d.healey » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:11 pm

Michael Willis wrote:I'll get started on developing a plugin using SoundTouch.

Do you think latency will be an issue?

User avatar
Michael Willis
Established Member
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:27 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains, North America
Contact:

Re: Looking for a new sample editing tool

Postby Michael Willis » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:05 pm

d.healey wrote:Do you think latency will be an issue?

I don't really know right now. There will be latency, but I need to learn more about SoundTouch to find out if there is a way to accurately report latency to the DAW. If there is, then I don't think it will be a problem.

rghvdberg
Established Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 7:11 am

Re: Looking for a new sample editing tool

Postby rghvdberg » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:08 pm

Michael Willis wrote:Any update on this? I don't see why Carla would be necessary, since the LADSPA plugin can be loaded directly in Ardour. If rubberband won't work, I'll get started on developing a plugin using SoundTouch.

I tried using 2 mono plugins on a bus, and use them in parallel
I don't think that works.

User avatar
d.healey
Established Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: Looking for a new sample editing tool

Postby d.healey » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:17 pm

rghvdberg wrote:
Michael Willis wrote:Any update on this? I don't see why Carla would be necessary, since the LADSPA plugin can be loaded directly in Ardour. If rubberband won't work, I'll get started on developing a plugin using SoundTouch.

I tried using 2 mono plugins on a bus, and use them in parallel
I don't think that works.

So how could this be achieved in Carla? And how do I automate a plugin running in Carla?

rghvdberg
Established Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 7:11 am

Re: Looking for a new sample editing tool

Postby rghvdberg » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:44 pm

I was wrong.
It does work.
You'll have to bypass an input.
http://manual.ardour.org/signal-routing/signal-flow/

User avatar
d.healey
Established Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: Looking for a new sample editing tool

Postby d.healey » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:59 pm

rghvdberg wrote:I was wrong.
It does work.
You'll have to bypass an input.
http://manual.ardour.org/signal-routing/signal-flow/

I still don't understand how to set this up though, I'm not very familiar with Ardour. Could you explain your track configuration please?

rghvdberg
Established Member
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 7:11 am

Re: Looking for a new sample editing tool

Postby rghvdberg » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:54 am

I'm kinda lost what we are trying to do here actually.
Do you need a pitch plugin which handles the left and right of a stereo signal differently ?
If not, just slap rubberband stereo pitch shifter (ladspa) on a stereo track.

User avatar
d.healey
Established Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: Looking for a new sample editing tool

Postby d.healey » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:36 pm

rghvdberg wrote:I'm kinda lost what we are trying to do here actually.
Do you need a pitch plugin which handles the left and right of a stereo signal differently ?
If not, just slap rubberband stereo pitch shifter (ladspa) on a stereo track.

I have for example 3 tracks, one mono and two stereo. Each track contains the same audio but recorded by different microphones. I need to change the playback rate of individual regions on the tracks in order to adjust their pitch without affecting (much) the phase relationship of the three microphones.

Can rubber band work across multiple tracks? Or with a 5 channel audio file?

@Michael
I wonder if it would be simpler to adapt the rate adjustment plugin that comes with Ardour. It doesn't report its latency and it doesn't have a pitch value to rate value conversion.


Return to “Recorders & Sequencers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests