[Solved] Rosegarden Midi Output Question Mute

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

retnev
Established Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:13 am

[Solved] Rosegarden Midi Output Question Mute

Postby retnev » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:06 am

[Solved by Harry_Krishnerd]

I have trouble with Rosegarden interfering with my keyboard during recording of midi data in rosegarden.
I play my keyboard through a midisport. All works and I can record in Rosegarden and playback.
the trouble however is that as soon as I activate the output in rosegarden to be my keyboard, it changes the sound of my keyboard. It is most likely playing back everything I play doubletracking the keyboard as I play.
I cannot find anyway to switch of playback during recording in Rosegarden.
Anyone know how to do it, or if that is not the problem that Rosegarden interferes and changes my keyboard sound, then let me know how I can fix it.

If I completely shut down rosegarden then my keyboard has its normal voice again.
Last edited by retnev on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: Rosegarden Midi Question

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:29 pm

retnev wrote:[...] the trouble however is that as soon as I activate the output in rosegarden to be my keyboard, it changes the sound of my keyboard. It is most likely playing back everything I play doubletracking the keyboard as I play.

I don't know Rosegarden, but knowing Midi this seems logical to me. I think that you want your Midi keyboard to be the input of Rosegarden. Not the thing that Rosegarden directs it output to because that's what it is doing right now and you don't seem to like it.

retnev
Established Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:13 am

Re: Rosegarden Midi Question

Postby retnev » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:06 pm

My midi keyboard is the input and it works, the midi data is recorded.
However I want to play back what is recorded through my keyboard also so the output is also the keyboard.

The thing that Rosegarden does incorrectly, is to immediately play back through the keyboard when I am in the process of recording.
All I want is for Rosegarden to just play back to the keyboard when I play back, NOT when I record.

There seemingly is no way to do that I can find.
That alone makes Rosegarden unusable.
Last edited by retnev on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harry_Krishnerd
Established Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:14 am

Re: Rosegarden Midi Question

Postby Harry_Krishnerd » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:11 pm

..cannot find anyway to switch of playback during recording in Rosegarden.


Track Parameters --> Recording Filters --> Thru Routimg: OFF

Should work if I understand your problem correctly.

folderol
Established Member
Posts: 869
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Here, of course!
Contact:

Re: Rosegarden Midi Question

Postby folderol » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Slow down there! It's dead easy :lol:
In 'Track Parameters' simply set 'Thru Routing' to 'off.
Bah! Ninja'd :wink:

retnev
Established Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:13 am

Re: Rosegarden Midi Question

Postby retnev » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:32 pm

Yes I saw that, but it did not ring a bell. No one would necessarily know what through routing means.

By standard english "through routing" means nothing related to muting the audio output.
A better way to describe it would be "Mute Midi Output", then it would immediately say what it does and obvious to the user.

Unfortunate choice of words that will put anyone off track not used to the program.

It shows either exhaustion and running out of description by the programmers or very bad command of english.
I will pick the former, as it happens to me too when I program and get tired. Run out of good ways to describe simple things.

folderol wrote:Slow down there! It's dead easy :lol:
In 'Track Parameters' simply set 'Thru Routing' to 'off.
Bah! Ninja'd :wink:

retnev
Established Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:13 am

Re: Rosegarden Midi Question

Postby retnev » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Thanks a lot for the kind help harry, that should solve it.


Harry_Krishnerd wrote:
..cannot find anyway to switch of playback during recording in Rosegarden.


Track Parameters --> Recording Filters --> Thru Routimg: OFF

Should work if I understand your problem correctly.

folderol
Established Member
Posts: 869
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Here, of course!
Contact:

Re: Rosegarden Midi Question

Postby folderol » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:51 pm

retnev wrote:Yes I saw that, but it did not ring a bell. No one would necessarily know what through routing means.

By standard english "through routing" means nothing related to muting the audio output.
A better way to describe it would be "Mute Midi Output", then it would immediately say what it does and obvious to the user.

Unfortunate choice of words that will put anyone off track not used to the program.

It shows either exhaustion and running out of description by the programmers or very bad command of english.
I will pick the former, as it happens to me too when I program and get tired. Run out of good ways to describe simple things.


Well now. I'm quite astonished!
Not because you didn't like my tongue-in-cheek response to your (now deleted) criticism of Rosegarden, but because you seem to be unaware of the meaning of thru routing - a MIDI specified feature that has been there ever since MIDI 1.0 came out nearly 30 years ago.

Have you never seen the socket actually marked 'Thru' that exists on almost every keyboard and controller?

retnev
Established Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:13 am

Re: [Solved] Rosegarden Midi Output Question Mute

Postby retnev » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:30 pm

To foldertrol.
By your request, I reinstated the double post with criticism of Rosegarden. Anything to make you happy.

In case you did not notice Harry_Krishnerd solved the problem.


Return to “Recorders & Sequencers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests