Problem in Ardour about midi bus connection?[SOLVED]

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Aquarious12
Established Member

Problem in Ardour about midi bus connection?[SOLVED]

Post by Aquarious12 »

Hello guys , Hope all of you are doing well. i am having trouble in ardour 5.12 ,its about the midi bus.
Problems are :
I want to connect the 3 tacks of different instruments to one midi bus. ex.track 1 - genral midi synth ,track 2 - zynfusion ,track 3 -amsynth these all to midi bus track.?

After Connecting these tacks to the bus ,how should I connect the said "bus" to the master for output of the sound of all the tracks ? :roll:

Help me please ,thank you in advance!!
Last edited by Aquarious12 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Problem in Ardour about midi bus connection?

Post by Michael Willis »

It seems like you need an audio bus, not a midi bus. You describe three midi tracks, each with a plugin that outputs audio. If you want to route all of those outputs to a bus, the bus should be audio, and its output can be routed to master. Midi bus output cannot be routed to master.

What is the purpose of the bus? Presumably you are applying effects to the sound of all three midi tracks?
Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

Thanks for the reply .

I thought midi bus was for the midi data output from the tracks ,but as you say it looks like if the track is giving out sound then it needs to be routed to audio track . is that right?

how should i use midi bus then cause i am unaware about its use now can you please explain?

thanks .
Aquarious12
Established Member

Post by Aquarious12 »

Michael Willis wrote:It seems like you need an audio bus, not a midi bus. You describe three midi tracks, each with a plugin that outputs audio. If you want to route all of those outputs to a bus, the bus should be audio, and its output can be routed to master. Midi bus output cannot be routed to master.

What is the purpose of the bus? Presumably you are applying effects to the sound of all three midi tracks?
Thanks for the reply .

I thought midi bus was for the midi data output from the tracks ,but as you say it looks like if the track is giving out sound then it needs to be routed to audio track . is that right?

how should i use midi bus then cause i am unaware about its use now can you please explain?

thanks .
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Even though I use a lot of midi tracks, I'm not really sure what I would use a midi bus for. I suppose if I were using some plugin that does some processing on midi events themselves, let's say adjusting velocities on the fly, I might route multiple midi tracks to a single midi bus.

Anyway, yes, if you want to apply audio effects to the audio outputs of multiple midi tracks, then you need to use an audio bus.
Aquarious12
Established Member

Re: Problem in Ardour about midi bus connection?[SOLVED}

Post by Aquarious12 »

Michael Willis wrote:Even though I use a lot of midi tracks, I'm not really sure what I would use a midi bus for. I suppose if I were using some plugin that does some processing on midi events themselves, let's say adjusting velocities on the fly, I might route multiple midi tracks to a single midi bus.

Anyway, yes, if you want to apply audio effects to the audio outputs of multiple midi tracks, then you need to use an audio bus.

thanks for reply ,
i also considered using only audio bus for my thing that i want to get . i am new to all this linux and ardour ill be sure to let you know if anything troubles me .
thanks again .
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

FWIW, I've used a MIDI bus to track the three different channels for a 'setBFree' instrument (upper console, lower console, pedals) on separate MIDI tracks: each routed the MIDI output to the bus, which is where the 'setBFree' instrument was configured. This might not be needed for those careful / competent enough to play the three channels simultaneously. :(
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz