Issues with recording with audacity + rakarak

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Pankh

Issues with recording with audacity + rakarak

Post by Pankh »

I'm using Ubuntu studio.. Trying to record using rakarak for guitar effects and audacity to record the tracks.. Everything is fine except one issue I can't seem to change the effect per track.. For example if I record one track with say a distortion and reverb and sustain than a track over that using phaser it will than just apply phaser to both tracks.. How so I record with this and apply different effects per track need some help here
ssj71
Established Member

Re: Issues with recording with audacity + rakarak

Post by ssj71 »

Hi Pankh:

first to answer your question: I think you have the output of audacity going through rakarrack. So guitar->audacity->rackarrack->speakers. You probably want to change this to be guitar->rakarrack->audacity->speakers so that you are recording the "wet" guitar signal. Are you using jack?

second, some unsolicited advice: Audacity really isn't a very good tool for multi-track recording. It doesn't have latency compensation and any plugin effect applied is destructive, meaning you can't really go back and change it without undoing everything you did afterward. Ardour is complex, overwhelmingly at first, but it is meant to be a multi-track recording program. Audacity is really an audio editor. Some time spent learning ardour will be time well spent. There are other DAWs which would be perfectly fine as well, but Ardour is free, open and IMO best linux option for recording audio like guitar. :) Also the rackarack effects have all been turned into lv2 plugins which makes it easier to work with in a DAW.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Issues with recording with audacity + rakarak

Post by Basslint »

ssj71 wrote:Hi Pankh:

first to answer your question: I think you have the output of audacity going through rakarrack. So guitar->audacity->rackarrack->speakers. You probably want to change this to be guitar->rakarrack->audacity->speakers so that you are recording the "wet" guitar signal. Are you using jack?

second, some unsolicited advice: Audacity really isn't a very good tool for multi-track recording. It doesn't have latency compensation and any plugin effect applied is destructive, meaning you can't really go back and change it without undoing everything you did afterward. Ardour is complex, overwhelmingly at first, but it is meant to be a multi-track recording program. Audacity is really an audio editor. Some time spent learning ardour will be time well spent. There are other DAWs which would be perfectly fine as well, but Ardour is free, open and IMO best linux option for recording audio like guitar. :) Also the rackarack effects have all been turned into lv2 plugins which makes it easier to work with in a DAW.
+1 for Ardour. Once you get the hang of it the workflow is actually pretty straightforward, plus you can record the dry signal and apply Guitarix effects to it as LV2 plugins so you can record once and tweak the effects later.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!