Send Program Changes to External Hardware

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Ripper
Established Member

Send Program Changes to External Hardware

Post by Ripper »

Hi.
I am just trying Linux for my Rock band.
I found progwolff's Performer and i think it may be what i need (althought i would prefer to have several patches/Scenes per song instead of separate "songs", but that's not the issue here).
What i couldn't find till now is some Carla Plugin that can have Bank/Program (MSB/LSB) set and send that to a Midi Out Port/Channel. Having that, i could use several of those to send the Program Changes to my External Gear, like Effects Processors and Synthesizers all with a song change in Performer (Or any other software that could do that).
Somehow Midi Layer could do it but the 4 Port limit is bugging me, and it seems to have some "lag".

Thank you all for all your work on this amazing Linux stuff!
Best regards
Joao
Ripper
Established Member

Re: Send Program Changes to External Hardware

Post by Ripper »

I think i might have found a set of plugins for this: pizmidi. The midiProgramChange plugin seems to be the one to use.
I will try it once i am near my midi harware.
I'll be in touch shortly.
Ripper
Established Member

Post by Ripper »

Hi.
This works in my laptops with AV Linux, so no problem in that regard.
Now, how do i make this thing work in Raspberry Pi 3?
I have a Full Debian Stretch 9 installed and could already make the carla-discovery-win32 be activated, as in the picture

I don't seem to be able to install the kxlinux repos in raspbian.
Any clues on this?
I won't mind using a different plugin in Carla for the same purpose if it exists (send MSB/LSB-PC# to external hardware).
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Carla Refresh.jpg
Carla Refresh.jpg (68.49 KiB) Viewed 502 times
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

You also can use almost any MIDI capable DAW for that. There was a post about using Qtractor (?) even for MIDI programmed stage lighting. As I am using Ardour and Mixbus for everything I do, I usually end up writing MIDI automation on a dedicated track, then sending it to any external equipment via a cheap USB to MIDI interface from Aliexpress. I tried this setup for playing my MIDIs on an old Yamaha synth, and this worked, including patch switching, pitch/modulation, and some other MIDI CC events.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
Ripper
Established Member

Post by Ripper »

AlexTheBassist wrote:You also can use almost any MIDI capable DAW for that. There was a post about using Qtractor (?) even for MIDI programmed stage lighting. As I am using Ardour and Mixbus for everything I do, I usually end up writing MIDI automation on a dedicated track, then sending it to any external equipment via a cheap USB to MIDI interface from Aliexpress. I tried this setup for playing my MIDIs on an old Yamaha synth, and this worked, including patch switching, pitch/modulation, and some other MIDI CC events.
Thank you AlexTheBassist.

I will take your advices into consideration!

Best regards.