Beginner question about KXStudio

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rghvdberg
Established Member

Re: Beginner question about KXStudio

Post by rghvdberg »

If you need the names of these apps / plugins I can post them.
Got some chores to do atm, but can do it later today.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

There are meta packages which include large groups of programs and plugins, if you search for 'meta' in your package manager you should find them. I think you can install the audio-all meta package (or something similar) to install all of them.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

GuntherT wrote:If someone posts something that seems obvious, and readers don't wish to waste time sorting it out for them, they shouldn't. It requires no action at all, just don't reply to the post. However, taking time to call the person out is rude and pointless.
I agree with this assessment wholeheartedly.

It wasn't my intention to cause any kind of embarrassment. Every one is a newbie at something at any point of their lives and I understand that everything involving Linux may be confusing or overwhelming to many people. I just read rghvdberg's reply too fast and thought he had written something somewhat long-winded that didn't really answer the question. It was my mistake. I just assumed the OP had "heard of" KXStudio somewhere, ended up here and was confused so I showed him the way to the project's home page.

I hope we can put this to rest now. I am sorry for the trouble I caused.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

oh wait, clicking on those pics at the homepage opens up the relevant page describing the apps bundled with kxstudio
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Maybe this Wiki entry also explains your question.
DebianRepository https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository,
DebianRepositoryUnofficial https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository/Unofficial

Some OT but there are also "tasksel". https://wiki.debian.org/tasksel With AVLinux it used to look like this:

Code: Select all

linuxmusicians /home/law # tasksel
┌───────────────────────────────────┤ Software selection ────────────────────────────────────┐
│ You can choose to install one or more of the following predefined collections of software.  │
│                                                                                             │
│ Choose software to install:                                                                 │
│                                                                                             │
│    [ ] Packages for working with ambisonics (3D surround sound)                             │
│    [ ] Packages for creating animations                                                     │
│    [ ] Audio processing plugins, synths and virtual instruments                             │
│    [ ] packages for manipulating & cataloging music and audio                               │
│    [ ] Packages for broadcasting media publicly or in the home                              │
│    [ ] Extra packages for developers and package compiling                                  │
│    [ ] Packages for Disk Jockeys                                                            │
│    [ ] Packages for drums & beats                                                           │
│    [*] Packages for your firewire audiocard / interface                                     │
│    [ ] Packages for making and editing artwork                                              │
│    [ ] Packages for playing with your (virtual) guitar gear                                 │
│    [ ] JACK (Jack Audio Connection Kit) and ALSA related packages                           │
│    [ ] LADI, Linuxaudio session management, packages                                        │
│    [ ] Packages for looping music and audio                                                 │
│    [ ] MIDI related packages                                                                │
│    [ ] Packages for mixing and mastering your music                                         │
│    [ ] Packages for musicians                                                               │
│    [ ] Packages for working with digital photography                                        │
│    [ ] Packages which makes your multimedia tools complete                                  │
│    [ ] Packages for working with Pure Data                                                  │
│    [ ] Packages for audio recording                                                         │
│    [ ] Software samplers                                                                    │
│    [ ] Packages for sound synthesis                                                         │
│    [ ] Video packages                                                                       │
│    [*] Debian desktop environment                                                           │
│    [ ] ... GNOME                                                                            │
│    [ ] ... Xfce                                                                             │
│    [ ] ... KDE                                                                              │
│    [ ] ... Cinnamon                                                                         │
│    [ ] ... MATE                                                                             │
│    [ ] ... LXDE                                                                             │
│    [ ] web server                                                                           │
│    [*] print server                                                                         │
│    [*] SSH server                                                                           │
│    [ ] laptop                                                                               │
│                                           <Ok>                                              │
└─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
A nice metapackage is for example education-tasks https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/#Meta-packages. :-D
And the Backports https://wiki.debian.org/Backports
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Thanks for all the good replies here! And yes, let's keep it friendly :D
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

When I think back two or three years such a question could came from me also. I didn't know what a repository was and also was confused by all these new things. So ...
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

<troll>RTFM ;-)</troll> HF :-D
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

IllustratorPascal wrote:I was really wondering why, after installing KXStudio, I didn't found an application with that name in my menu, while on their website it shows a picture of a DAW and all kinds of plug-ins.
Why didn't you read the description in before you did the installation? Was that text hidden somewhere in Pandora's box? Nope, it's the first thing you see when you go to KXStudio's website. I don't believe (and never will) that you didn't see this text on the main page, you intentionally skipped it. That's rude. You took the time of numerous community members for nothing, giving nothing in return. I already explained something about usual forum rules before in this thread, about how and why they are so. I know that today's people aren't more IT literate than people of 80's, still playing games on PCs instead of using them as intended, but this needs to stop at least, or, for the best, turn back to where computer literacy was increasing. I work in IT since my late school days, and all this consciously achieved lack of basic knowledge is devastating.

You know, looking at some random pictures isn't what computers are about. PC is a tool, one needs to be familiar with it before making any use of it. Software works the very same way, it still has a learning curve. You can't just start using it if you don't know jack about what it is. You won't attempt driving a vehicle if you don't know what are the pedals, gearbox, steering wheel and such, will you? Did you read the instruction for your microwave before you cooked your first popcorn in it? I think you did, because otherwise you could easily burn or blow up your kitchen. Why computers, in your opinion, don't need to be used according to instruction? They can be really dangerous when misused, but you perceive them as a chair or whatever you use “intuitively”. This is plainly wrong. Equipment of such level of complexity should be used with care, at least because it's not as cheap as a toaster, if other (really valuable, by the way) arguments are bullshit to you.

If you wonder why I decided that you are against instructed computer use, I'll answer in advance: you didn't read a single sentence about what you were going to install.
lilith wrote:When I think back two or three years such a question could came from me also
Why? Is Google that bad, or what? The thing here is it “could”, not “did”. You googled for it yourself, saved community's time, and now you're a valuable member of the community: you can test new software for yourself, you can give non-obvious advice to those who look for something really specific (unlisted in search engines and official projects' websites), you don't bother people with questions of that stupidity. This is how it should work. Community is a community, where people share knowledge previously unknown and create things, it's not a free babysitter who chews up the food for a toothless toddler. I'm not against giving support to new members, it just needs to be sane.
rghvdberg wrote:This forum is (IMHO) for helping each other with linux audio related topics.
But this isn't related to Linux audio, this is about ability to read… And, IMHO, this forum is for real questions.
rghvdberg wrote:oh wait, clicking on those pics at the homepage opens up the relevant page describing the apps bundled with kxstudio
Hell yes! That's what I am talking about: there's no way to skip it except intentionally ignoring it.

You know, guys (and possibly girls), there's a culture behind Open Source in general. The main principle is not “what can I get from the community?”, it's “what can I give to the community?”. Be it bug reports, new code, translations, feature requests, donations, manual pages, tutorials, word of mouth, showcases—this is mostly irrelevant. This only does need to be of use, not like headache or annoyance. This is what Open Source is about, if in short. A collaborative effort. FalkTX, who is the father of KXStudio, put a huge one into Linux audio, including writing that description on main page of his awesome project's site. Why is it being so blatantly ignored? He doesn't deserve it by any means. He deserves something more like a memorial statue for his huge work, somehow both used and discarded by some random dude.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

@AlexTheBassist, I think you are talking to yourself at this point. You are taking this in a direction no one else is following. This thread didn't detonate the self-destruction of the world's search engines or the open source community. Luc and I had a brief exchange where I addressed how his initial post was perceived by me, and he clarified his intent. It's all good. We agree that being respectful is best. Why not get onboard?
Last edited by GuntherT on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

GuntherT wrote:You are taking this in a direction no one else is following.
I don't give a flying F. I have a right and will to share my opinion and experience with the rest of the world.
GuntherT wrote:This thread didn't detonate the self-destruction of the world's search engines or the open source community
This particular thread didn't, but when it happens on every forum out there, it becomes hard to find something valuable. As I said above, I've got a little experience in IT (*nix system administration, 10+ years), and I see this happening for a long time. When I just started, it was a lot easier to find something I need, nowadays, thanks to whiny crybabies, a search query usually doesn't lead straight to official documentation, which sucks a lot. I don't want this to happen with Linux audio. I want relevant stuff in my search results. If you think I am wrong, provide some arguments, don't be like: “nah, you're all wrong just because you're wrong and unfriendly”. That's not a clever way to discuss things.
GuntherT wrote:Luc and I had a brief exchange where I addressed how his post was perceived by me, and he clarified his intent
It's a problem of your perception. What I see is a human being ignoring what the community already did for him. Prove me wrong.
GuntherT wrote:We agree that being respectful is best. Why not get onboard?
Why should I respect somebody who discards such a hard work and all the principles of getting info from the Web? I respect those who give something valuable to the world, not those who spit on community's efforts. So, I am respectful, but I can't be respectful for the sake of it, there should be a reason behind respect.

If you wonder what my input into Linux audio is, you can just ask. I won't hesitate, I just don't want to look too pretentious telling it when not being asked for. There is some, you can be sure, and something relatively big is about to come, when I finish the main part of work on my current contract.

GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

@AlexTheBassist, we are getting way off topic. If you wish to continue this discussion, please start a new thread per usual forum rules.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

AlexTheBassist wrote:
GuntherT wrote:This thread didn't detonate the self-destruction of the world's search engines or the open source community
This particular thread didn't, but when it happens on every forum out there, it becomes hard to find something valuable. As I said above, I've got a little experience in IT (*nix system administration, 10+ years), and I see this happening for a long time.
Then you must also realize that 'blowing up' against this one newcomer will not help, because even if you have 'educated' him (which is still more effective if you do it in a friendly way), the next 'uninformed question' will come from another new user, not the same one.
AlexTheBassist wrote:When I just started, it was a lot easier to find something I need, nowadays, thanks to whiny crybabies, a search query usually doesn't lead straight to official documentation, which sucks a lot.
I hear you. I also agree it is good to not only answer questions, but also refer to 'authoritative' sources and help people find the information by themselves - even if it is "right there on the front page of the project website".
AlexTheBassist wrote:I don't want this to happen with Linux audio. I want relevant stuff in my search results.
I'm not sure going on about the topic beyond an on-topic reply is helpful in that regard...
AlexTheBassist wrote:
GuntherT wrote:We agree that being respectful is best. Why not get onboard?
Why should I respect somebody who discards such a hard work and all the principles of getting info from the Web?
Because it keeps this forum an enjoyable place to be, and that helps prevent burnout for those active on it.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

And there's goes another one on my ignore list.

@pascal, don't let all this hold you back.
We're here to help. Well, most of us.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

raboof wrote:Then you must also realize that 'blowing up' against this one newcomer will not help, because even if you have 'educated' him (which is still more effective if you do it in a friendly way), the next 'uninformed question' will come from another new user, not the same one.
In my experience, the more you teach people to not depend on the environment, the better they get at what they chose to learn. And what is “friendly” anyway? Acting like an SJW? Thanks, but no, I'd better die. Google is friendly enough, and my advice was friendly too (despite he was acting rude), because someday it could save that dude's life. If he only will pay a bit more attention to what he does see…
raboof wrote:I'm not sure going on about the topic beyond an on-topic reply is helpful in that regard...
The topic is spoiled beginning from its title, it doesn't make any sense by default.
raboof wrote:Because it keeps this forum an enjoyable place to be, and that helps prevent burnout for those active on it.
Personally I don't enjoy topics like this. Stupid questions is what's burning me out. Complex problems are fun to solve, unlike repeating things already said a million times. This forum will be more enjoyable (probably even beyond possible limits) if there will be no such topics. Ever. I know what's it to be a novice: I tried more than ten professions before I finally settled with music and IT. But I did never rely on somebody else but the authors of books on topics I needed to learn before doing stuff, and certainly didn't demand to answer my stupid newfag questions. Google → read → think → read again → think again → try. This only looks hard and time consuming, but in fact it's a faster and less nervous way. Don't get me wrong, as some people here so passionately do, I'm not against newcomers. I just want them to think a little more, to do a little more effort by themselves to overcome difficulties they face. We're all here of legal age, we can think with our own heads, make decisions on our own. People who ask us to point them to obvious look like those who can walk with no problems, but use wheelchairs to their own amusement. While it can be fun for some, it's certainly not.
Last edited by AlexTheBassist on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.