Getting started with a DAW in Linux

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

Re: Getting started with a DAW in Linux

Post by tramp »

42low wrote:The linux distro version is original from ardour and is no 3rd party edition.
It's an official ardour version.
And it's a usual way to install.

What's wrong information?
42low wrote:It are different versions. I already said the linux repo version is an older one.
But it still is a 100% genuine ardour version.
Okay, I'll try to explain it one time for you.
Ardour provide ready to use binary's to download and install on there project page. Those binary's been build with a special selected set of third party library's witch Ardour use. Therefore they select carefully which version from every single library they use.

The distribution builds from a software center been build with whatever is currently in the repository of the distribution. There could be a couple of difference in the underlying library's, which could lead to a different beehive of the application (in this case Ardour). On top of it, distributions usually patch open-source apps to make them fit into there environment. Here, for example is the patch list debain use to build ardour, and that's, what at least goes to ubuntu as well:
https://sources.debian.org/patches/ardour/1:5.12.0-3/

As you see, there a all together 7 patches which change the source-code before they build it.

So it isn't a 100% Ardour version.

That's why the Ardour dev's ain't give support for users which have problem's with a version from a distribution. When you've ask them for support, the first question is, which version you use and were you get it from.

To get a 100% Ardour version you've to download it from ardour.org, that's it.
42low wrote:So there is nothing wrong with my information to install with sudo.
No, that's correct, that is exactly the true part. :)

Also true that Ardour mostly (if not ever) work well, when use the distribution version, but, as explained above, it isn't the same as what you get from Ardour.org, beside that it may be older, it is, as well build against a "unsupported set of library's" and patched.
On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

You are wrong.
I'm giving up here, it's fruitless to discuss anything with you, as you insist always that you are right.
On the road again.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

There's no personal fight at all, but you seem to twist our words around. Maybe start a thread in the ardour forum than you get answers you can trust.

PEACE 8)
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Nice imression we as a community make on someone new to Linux audio.

Hope the op isn't scared away.
IllustratorPascal
Established Member

Post by IllustratorPascal »

lilith wrote:
IllustratorPascal wrote:I think I start expirimenting with Ardour.
Installing Reaper with the terminal is too difficult since I don't know all these commands or what I'm exactly doing.
I appreciate all the help, but hearing all this command lines one after each other is too overwhelming for me.
To use the terminal I better learn the meaning of all this code first.
You even don't need the terminal (at least not for installing reaper :mrgreen: ) as I wrote above. Just extract the reaper tar-file and click with the mouse on the reaper file (the 8.4 MB file):

Yes that worked. I was able to extract the 8,4 MB reaper file. I chose my desktop as location and now I have the Reaper icon of the software there. But when I click on it, nothing happens.
dawhead
Established Member

Post by dawhead »

I am the original/lead developer of Ardour.

42low, you are being misleading. The version of Ardour distributed by every Linux distribution (except the KXAudio add-ons) is not an official version of Ardour. It may be based on the source code that we provide, but it is an unofficial build from the perspective of the Ardour development group, and we do not (and will not) support it.

There have been innumerable problems over the years with the versions built by various distributions, problems which almost always go away when the user gets a copy from ardour.org.

A modern application is not just the result of taking the source code of the application and building it. Most modern applications rely heavily on a set of libraries, all of which are subject to their own bugs, versioning and quirks. As people have tried to explain to you, the version that we distribute from ardour.org includes all the libraries that Ardour requires, versions that we have identified and verified as the best ones for Ardour. In a number of cases, we apply specific patches to those libraries to make them work better in Ardour.

Linux distributions, in general, cannot do this, because Linux, in general, doesn't work this way: there is, for example, one copy of the GTK+ 2.x libraries on the system, and any application that uses GTK+ 2.x will use it. There are a few newer packaging systems that do things differently - Ardour was doing this before most of them even started.

For many people, the version of Ardour provided by their Linux distribution will work just fine. But it is not supported by us, and if you ever run into problems with it, it is entirely possible that our first suggestion will be to get a copy from ardour.org instead.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

IllustratorPascal wrote:But when I click on it, nothing happens.
khz wrote:Double click on "reaper".
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

IllustratorPascal wrote:
lilith wrote:
IllustratorPascal wrote:I think I start expirimenting with Ardour.
Installing Reaper with the terminal is too difficult since I don't know all these commands or what I'm exactly doing.
I appreciate all the help, but hearing all this command lines one after each other is too overwhelming for me.
To use the terminal I better learn the meaning of all this code first.
You even don't need the terminal (at least not for installing reaper :mrgreen: ) as I wrote above. Just extract the reaper tar-file and click with the mouse on the reaper file (the 8.4 MB file):

Yes that worked. I was able to extract the 8,4 MB reaper file. I chose my desktop as location and now I have the Reaper icon of the software there. But when I click on it, nothing happens.
Leave everything inside the folder and don't move the reaper file alone to the desktop. I can"t test it right now, but I guess it won't work.

Like khz suggests try double clicking first.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

IllustratorPascal wrote:Yes that worked. I was able to extract the 8,4 MB reaper file. I chose my desktop as location and now I have the Reaper icon of the software there. But when I click on it, nothing happens.
Did you try to start Reaper from command line and see what exactly stops it from loading?
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Nice confirmation bias.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

42low wrote:
sysrqer wrote:Nice confirmation bias.
Bias? Were am i stating other options should be no good?
I didn't suggest you are. You might want to look up what confirmation bias is. The confirmation bias refers to stating that because you've had no problems with ardour and installed it so many times that you don't know where these problems come from. These problems exist whether you have them or not, as the developer of ardour highlighted.
42low wrote: OMG what's happening here? Shares and bonds in KX??
Don't know, I didn't mention anything about kxstudio. If a developer of a program recommends, with good reason, to install a specific version of the program to eliminate the possibility of build differences, and kxstudio is one of the few places you can get a FREE version of the correct version, then it seems to make sense that kxstudio would be recommended.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

On Topic PLS.
Please if there is need please discuss this in a new thread.
Whereby even a developer of Ardour has commented on it. (Among other things it is about dependencies, each distribution is different: uses other, individually adapted program versions/libraries/bug fixes/... . IMHO )
A friendly, benevolent dealing tone would be nice.
Thank you. :peace: && :-)
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

42low wrote:
And then explane to me how it can be that it always works proper here no matter what type of computer or distri?
Not my stand alone opinion, but extended experience with about 15 different computers. Which is as good as 15 opinions about one computer.
If those problems would be as urgently and frequently then i must have had them, so explane how it went 15+ times well without any problems and stable Ardour and system? That should be impossible then if what you say would be true. You call me a lier?
No, I am saying that your opinion is based on your experience and that is very different to the experience of other people, which you have just admitted.
I don't get what your point is. It's great that you have no problems but that doesn't really help those who do.
No one is trying to destroy you or call you a liar. This is discussion, not persecusion.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I don't contradict you, I build my packages myself, similar to you with "apt-get install ardour".
But the reasoning is logical, I know all too well the dependency problems under Gentoo.
Freedom.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Right and reasonable? Or not?
yup