Qtractor MIDI Keyboard Output

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Archaeus
Established Member

Qtractor MIDI Keyboard Output

Post by Archaeus »

I am new to making music in Linux and am currently using Qtractor with Qjackctl and fluidsynth in Ubuntu. I have a USB mic with a headphone jack from the mic which is outputting the sound. I have managed to get the Mic operational in both recording and playback, but I am having a problem with the MIDI keyboard.

I have real time sound while recording and mixing with multiple audio tracks in qtractor, but when I playback the entire session at once I hear nothing from the MIDI. I see the recording and I can watch the mixer playing the recorded MIDI, but the MIDI is not outputting with the other tracks. When I click on MIDI Master output settings, I don't see any option to join the MIDI Master to system. The system playback 1 and 2 are only in the AUDIO Master output settings. Hope this is clear enough. Any help would be appreciated.
rncbc
Established Member

Re: Qtractor MIDI Keyboard Output

Post by rncbc »

first you must understand that MIDI does not produce any audio output sound per se.

you need a MIDI sound module or instrument for just that: about rendering audio output by processing incoming MIDI input; it may be a synth, a sampler, etc. in your case I suppose that's fluidsynth.

you'll need to connect qtractor MIDI output to fluidsynth's MIDI input for it to reproduce some sound on playback; of course, fluidsynth audio output should be connected in turn to your system playback device (soundcard, speakers) but that's already not news :)

got it?

cheers
Archaeus
Established Member

Post by Archaeus »

Thank you kindly for the excellent explanation. I will attempt that after work and hopefully it will do the trick.
Archaeus
Established Member

Post by Archaeus »

That was it. Got it working. Problem solved! Thanks again.