Is Ardour's midi really this buggy? (no it isn't)

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Is Ardour's midi really this buggy? (no it isn't)

Post by sysrqer »

Look at this

and then listen to what ardour plays
https://soundcloud.com/meef-chaloin/selection/s-4W3kg

I noticed that there is a bug with release where if you touch a note it ignores the note end of all notes unless you stop and play back again (this is with an sfz in carla) but why the hell is the note in the middle not played?!

I've never used used midi in ardour before but this is barely alpha level. I tried with a synth and the note is not played there either.
Last edited by sysrqer on Tue May 22, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
lilith
Established Member

Re: Is Ardour's midi really this buggy?

Post by lilith »

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

It should never have been released like this, it's unusable. And it's been there for a full major version hasn't it?
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Can you send me the midi file, I can check if I have the same problem. I've Ardour open at atm.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

lilith wrote:Can you send me the midi file, I can check if I have the same problem. I've Ardour open at atm.
Sure, here you - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iADJ-Q ... sp=sharing

I imported it in to renoise and in there is shows there are two of the same note at the same time where the problem is but in ardour I cannot for the life of me see the second note.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Here it works and all notes are played. But I don't see the part that you posted.

https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93/projekt/s-5whbd
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

That's interesting, I'll have to give it a try with something more percussive like that. Even in your example there is something not right though, it's on the faster bit and there is one note that sounds dead (the red one).

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Oh nevermind, I've found the problem. If you delete that note and zoom in as far as you can go there is another note in the same place but it's tiny. I have no idea how that got there but it seems to be the cause of the problem. Thanks for double checking for me.

This is another reason it seems like a bad design choice not having a velocity lane.
braintree12
Established Member

Re: Is Ardour's midi really this buggy? (no it isn't)

Post by braintree12 »

Tiny notes, stuck notes, dropped notes, no velocity lane, not having a dedicated popout MIDI editor...
Ardour's MIDI handling is frustrating. Here's hoping it's improved in version 6.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I really want to use Ardour, but at the moment Reaper is by far the best of all DAWs I have checked in the last weeks. The midi editor in Ardour is ok and it also has some advantages that it's on the track and not in an extra window. But what is definitely missing is a good method to mark notes. You have to do this by Ctrl + left mouse key. Why not using the right mouse key like in Reaper??
When playing over a loop the sound of VST instruments stop at the beginning of the loop. And it's not possible to have the recorded midi notes and new midi notes played at the same time (In or Disk but not both).

I'm also missing a render function (which Reaper offers) to render a midi item to Wav. In Ardour you have to make an Audio track and then recrod the midi onto that track... :cry: There's also no Multi take mode for midi ...

Is there anything in which Ardour is better than Reaper, except it's open source??
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

Thanks for this summation. I brought up the "skipped first note on loop" bug a while back and they made an effort to fix it but it still seems to happen. Tracktion Waveform has that "clip rendering" feature you mentioned and it really speeds up production/composition -- it will be hard for me to go back to any DAW that doesn't have that. Since you asked for something positive about Ardour: it has a "timestretch on clip resize" option that I prefer to Waveform's "warp points" method of changing clip speed outside of the timeline. In Ardour you just drag the edge of the clip to the nearest grid line and the audio file speeds up or slows down to fit the grid.
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

Correction: Tracktion Waveform does have a "timestretch on clip resize" feature. You hold down the "option" or "windows" key while dragging the clip handle.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Ardour is buggy when looping midi items. I gave up on this. In Ardour 6 this is supposed to work.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I'm really considering moving over to reaper and just put up with the learning curve. Ardour still has random crashes now and then where the autosave for some reason doesn't work and doesn't recover anything. I just lost about three hours of editing and eqing, and this happens too often to be very viable. I don't mean it happens a lot but losing any work isn't really acceptable to me.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

No comment on what program to use ;)

But the old adage still often applies when using software; "Save often and save early"...
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux