Focusrite 18i20 Gen2

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rocketmusic

Focusrite 18i20 Gen2

Post by rocketmusic »

Hello all,

I've had some minor success with my 18i20 in Linux, but am stuck on some simple tasks. I also have the Focusrite control software on a windows laptop and am able to access those settings (which do seem to hold through power off/on of the unit). I would like to be able to at least use the unit in Linux, even if I need to preset a few things in windows.

I am using Catia and Ardour. When I open catia I see 18 inputs (listed as capture XX) and 20 outputs (listed as playbackXX) that I can connect to my tracks in Ardour.
If I use the default focusrite settings in the windows program, I can input a signal and it comes out on all the outputs in the back.

However, the simple task I would like to do is output a pre-recorded sound clip on a single output.
So, in the windows program, I set all the outputs to a "software (DAW)" type - which according to the datasheet should set the output to expect a file from the computer to that port.

So I have loaded the sound clip into a track in Ardour on the linux machine and told it to send the output of the track to "playback 0" (I have also tried connecting the track output to all 20 playback output ports)

I can see the track play in ardour, but no output. Any suggestions on where I might be going off? I have just that single track audio output connected to the playback ports - no other connections.
I am also concerned the ardour sees all 18 inputs and 20 outputs - when that is really not the case. I was expecting it to see 8 inputs and 10 outputs. It seems that way in the windows program at least.

Thanks in advance.

**Update: I can use Ardour on the windows laptop to play a clip in the same configuration. The ports that show up in Ardour are different though on the windows machine than on the linux machine and I am wondering if that setup or configuration may be the source of the issue and how to remedy that.
Pablo
Established Member

Re: Focusrite 18i20 Gen2

Post by Pablo »

Hi,

There are several threads in the "computer related hardware" sub-forum about the Focusrites gen2. For example,

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16560

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15810&start=30

That could be a better place to ask because it doesn't seem the problem is related to ardour or any recorder or sequencer. I guess you will get more attention there.

Good luck.