Make Hydrogen listen to Ardour MIDI out

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

stefan
Established Member

Make Hydrogen listen to Ardour MIDI out

Post by stefan »

Hi all,

I want to use Hydrogen as an external drum sampler. I want to trigger the drums in the current drumkit of Hydrogen. All MIDI will come from Ardour. Here is screenshot that shows how I've set it up.
catia.png
catia.png (93.99 KiB) Viewed 607 times
I set my Oxygen 25 to "a2j" and when I monitor playback, I hear Hydrogen. Below is a simple MIDI track within Ardour.
sound.png
sound.png (10.61 KiB) Viewed 607 times
But when I turn monitor to "Disk" and play my MIDI sequence. Nothing. Nada. The "Master" meter dies while the track meter keeps going... However, in Hydrogen, the little blue led indicating MIDI in flashes:
hydro.png
hydro.png (6.72 KiB) Viewed 607 times
And the strange thing is... if I change "Input mode" from "Drumkit" to "Instrument" in Hydrogen, I get sound. But just weird pitched samples. But I guess it must mean that MIDI is actually coming out of Ardour and in to Hydrogen. I also guess that this is an Hydrogen issue?

Any suggestions on how to send my MIDI drum sequences from Ardour to Hydrogen and get drumkit sounds back?

* Hydrogen: 0.9.7
* Ardour: 5.11.4
stefan
Established Member

Re: Make Hydrogen listen to Ardour MIDI out

Post by stefan »

I'm all for easy ;-). Could U plz elaborate on "link both together"? I must be doing something wrong. I use ardour as my main program, but it seems I can only start/stop hydrogen when I connect them like I described. Tempo changes from ardour is not honored by hydrogen, and looping sections within ardour is not working.
stanlea
Established Member

Re: Make Hydrogen listen to Ardour MIDI out

Post by stanlea »

First I'd try to send Hydrogen outputs directly to the playback and not to Ardour, in order to see what happens.