New Step Sequencer

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sancho1980
Established Member

New Step Sequencer

Post by sancho1980 »

Hi guys

I've written a step sequencer VST plugin that runs natively on Linux (actually Linux only). I acknowledge it hasn't got the fanciest UI, but what it does have is some really cool features. It can be used, among other things, to create TB 303 style basslines and TR X0X rhythms as well.
I'd be interested to know what you think, so maybe you want to have a look and tell me.
You will have to build on your own, but I've added a description how this is done:

https://github.com/kohaerenzstifter/c/t ... tSequencer

Have a look and drop me a line!

Cheers,
Martin
stanlea
Established Member

Re: New Step Sequencer

Post by stanlea »

Cool ! Something to try soon.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

This looks really interesting, I'll try to check it out when I have some time to.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

wow! as far as i can understand the logic and the forkflow from screenshots, this is very cool and handy thing.
especially i like „children“ and „siblings“ buttons )
actually, there's not so many step sequencers out there. definitely must play with it.

p.s. since you definitely got Bitwig modular zen, UI is the last thing to bother about )
sancho1980
Established Member

Post by sancho1980 »

Maybe someone could also try out with other DAWs, which I haven't got round to.
I'm also thinking about adding more stuff, for example at the moment, you cannot really arrange your pattern, it just keeps repeating during playback.
My idea is to have banks of patterns, where each bank is assigned a specific note, and when that note is pressed during playback, the assigned pattern would play. This would also allow you to switch between patterns in the middle of a bar, thus mixing up patterns, etc...
Other ideas are of course welcome ....
Cheers
Martin
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

sancho1980 wrote:My idea is to have banks of patterns, where each bank is assigned a specific note, and when that note is pressed during playback, the assigned pattern would play.
this resembles non-sequencer in a trigger mode, which is my favorite tool to play various electronic dance styles live.
would love to have such tool available as a plugin, because running a few instances of non-sequencer is far not that convenient.
sancho1980
Established Member

Post by sancho1980 »

I've added that feature now, has any one gotten round to trying out?
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

you probably want feedback, so i'll try soon and will give you some )
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

I got it to compile on Fedora 26 and ran it in Ardour 5.11.0 It worked, I got it to play a bassline with nekobi, but it also crashed too.

It crashed when I was adding notes to a pattern. It crashed when I added a second track with another kVst Sequencer.

I did get two instances in Ardour but editing the second tracks sequence seemed to change the first tracks and the second track played nothing, then it crashed.

It's a good start though! Exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for, especially the slide. I haven't tried doing any of the parent - child pattern stuff yet either.
sancho1980
Established Member

Post by sancho1980 »

Hi
thanks for trying out.
I am not sure if I got you right: Are you saying it crashed even with only one instance running? If yes, is this reproducible?
I have to admit it's currently not written to be run multiple instance within the same process, which explains the crashes and the weird behaviour about the "second tracks sequence changing the first track". In Bitwig there is an option to force creation of a separate process for each plugin instance - is there an equivalent in Ardour?
If you say you are observing crashes with only one instance running, could you enable the MARK() macro in kVstSequencer.h (by setting #f 1) and also set "#if 1" in PluginProcessor.cpp right at the start of KVstSequencerAudioProcessor::KVstSequencerAudioProcessor(). This enables logging to files /tmp/kVstSequencer.out and /tmp/kVstSequencer.err. Are you saying that you're seeing crashes as soon as you start to add notes to a pattern?

Thanks,
Martin
sancho1980
Established Member

Post by sancho1980 »

should be fixed now...does any one want to try it out?