How to prevent apps connecting to playback ports

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

markc
Established Member

How to prevent apps connecting to playback ports

Post by markc »

Ardour 5.10 Qtackctl 0.4.5. Example situation, I am using the qtjackctl patchbay to provide a persistent connection for VLC using it's JACK output to an Ardour stereo track but when I start vlc it has a connection to that Ardour track but ALSO connects directly to the hardware playback ports.

How can I prevent VLC (or any app outputting to JACK) from connecting directly to the playback ports?
gimmeapill
Established Member

Re: How to prevent apps connecting to playback ports

Post by gimmeapill »

There is another way to do in qjackctl: If you edit your output socket in the patchbay options, you can tick the "Exclusive" option. This will prevent anything else to connect to it.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

markc wrote:Ardour 5.10 Qtackctl 0.4.5. Example situation, I am using the qtjackctl patchbay to provide a persistent connection for VLC using it's JACK output to an Ardour stereo track but when I start vlc it has a connection to that Ardour track but ALSO connects directly to the hardware playback ports.

How can I prevent VLC (or any app outputting to JACK) from connecting directly to the playback ports?
I use jack-plumbing to disconnect programs from system and connect them to my running jack_mixer. My Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 has no hardware mixer so I need some kind of master volume. Jackd doesn't have one so I set up this solution.

It's rule-based. My rule file is attached as a sample.
Attachments
rules.txt
(1.92 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

gimmeapill wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:10 am There is another way to do in qjackctl: If you edit your output socket in the patchbay options, you can tick the "Exclusive" option. This will prevent anything else to connect to it.

Thanks, been looking for this answer!

-Matt :D