[SOLVED] Sound issues in Qtractor qt5 build

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

thebutant
Established Member

[SOLVED] Sound issues in Qtractor qt5 build

Post by thebutant »

A while ago Qtractor (at least the KXstudio build of it) went from qt4 to qt5.
I had a bit of graphical trouble in beginning, making me stick to qt4.
After some qt updates I can now open the qt5 build (and any qt5 application) without any problems, everything seems fine.
Except that the sound behaves strangely in the qt5 build. I wasn't too concerned in the beginning, everything was messed up then. But as qt5 now seems stable for me, and there even has been a qtractor update, it seems these issues are here to stay.

Does anyone else have sound issues in the qt5 build of qtractor?

Here are some of the things that happen:
- when I export a file, it shows sound even where there's nothing. For example after the song finished. Sometimes I cannot hear the sound, it's just visible, other times it's audible aswell.
- the mixer of a track behaves randomly, jumping up and down, making even quiet tracks peak without any reason.
- plus a lot of random behaviour. But the program SEEMS to work perfectly well. The sound's just not to be trusted.

Any idea what I could do? Or what this could be?
I'm very happy with my debian setup, and I'm planning to use qtractor in the future also. But I don't think sticking to a qt4 build forever is a good solution (also because there are quite some gtk issues in that build, a lot of guis won't open). So what could I do?
Last edited by thebutant on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rncbc
Established Member

Re: Sound issues in Qtractor qt5 build

Post by rncbc »

so you have the poltergeist in the house still?

i guess it's not that funny anymore :(
thebutant wrote:... the program SEEMS to work perfectly well. The sound's just not to be trusted.

Any idea what I could do? Or what this could be?
i simply don't have clue :( sorry.

try this: 1) quit or exit qtractor if running; 2) move the configuration file away (~/.config/rncbc.org/Qtractor.conf) (remove or rename it to somewhere or something else); 3) run and test qtractor again.

hth.
cheers
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

Let this be a lesson for anyone struggling with poltergeists.
You don't need to call Ghostbusters.
You could simply remove the config file.
rncbc wrote:try this: 1) quit or exit qtractor if running; 2) move the configuration file away (~/.config/rncbc.org/Qtractor.conf) (remove or rename it to somewhere or something else); 3) run and test qtractor again.
So I did. And after a day of work with no hickups or issues at all, even after several reboots and different projects, I'm gonna mark this as solved.

Thank you so much! You are the best. :wink:
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

thebutant wrote:Thank you so much! You are the best. :wink:
holy thanks!

if only we could catch the parabnormal beast back in a cage and beat it with a hard stick until it cries guilty, that would be awesome :twisted:

cheers