Alesis vmini and synthv1

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

eflester
Established Member

Alesis vmini and synthv1

Post by eflester »

I have an Alesis vmini keyboard (MIDI - USB) which works pretty well with both lmms and MuseScore, but I have so far been unable to figure out how to make it connect to synthv1. Any hints, help, or commiseration appreciated.
varpa
Established Member

Re: Alesis vmini and synthv1

Post by varpa »

rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

you have to connect your vmini keyboard's MIDI-out to synthv1_jack's MIDI-in, either the ALSA-MIDI-in *or* the JACK-MIDI-in ports (but not do both); then you also need to connect synthv1_jack's audio out_1,2 ports to system::playback_1,2 ports for you to get any sounding on the speakers.

you can do all or some these connections with aconnect, jack_connect, qjackctl, patchage, etc. being the most popular i'd say yours truly qjackctl, for which you can take use of its patchbay persistence feature, so that you don't have to deal all those connections all over again, every time you wish to play and run synthv1_jack.

hth.
cheers
eflester
Established Member

Post by eflester »

Thanks for your replies. I was afraid that Jack was involved. I have never been able to figure that thing out. I appreciate the linked article, but I've read it before, still don't get it. I may just be too stupid for this. Sorry, and thanks again.
eflester
Established Member

Post by eflester »

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll take a look at Carla when I have a chance.
nihalRB

Post by nihalRB »

Happy seeing a thread about Alesis V mini. As I was thinking of getting it and I use lmms. I'd like to know if it works well with it?
eflester
Established Member

Post by eflester »

Well, I gave up on it, but ymmv. I was using lmms, and I could make it work, up to a point, but never could figure out how to make the "pads" work, and many other extremely time-consuming details. After about 4 weeks, I returned the thing. Sweetwater has them on sale for $79 right now if you want one. I was also unpleasantly surprised by how small the keys are, but had I done some research before buying it I might have discovered that. It's pretty much the size of a toy piano. If it were $40 I would have kept it for fooling around.