review on MixBus/Ardour

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

rghvdberg
Establlshed Member

Re: review on MixBus/Ardour

Postby rghvdberg » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:47 pm

ssj71 wrote:if you aren't into analog sound then you probably aren't interested in harrison's plugins.

@rghvdberg AFAIK you can buy the harrison plugins and use them in ardour, but you won't have the inline controls like you do in mixbus. They're also quite pricey, so IMO you're better off buying and using mixbus. I've also heard once you do get mixbus you can use the harrison plugins in other lv2 apps. And mixbus IS ardour, so buying it will help support ardour and a company that has helped ardour a lot (and is currently employing the #2 ardour dev).

#2 is rgareus ?

$300 is a bit to much for my humble needs.

Already 'bought' Ardour .. which felt good ;-)

ufug
Establlshed Member

Postby ufug » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:02 pm

That's a pretty spot-on review.

If you use Mixbus (especially 32C) for a few songs, and then go back to Ardour, well... you might discover that you have a hard time going back.

Ardour is great, and I used it off and on for years. But if you have limited time to work on your music then Mixbus pays for itself very quickly--it's an incredible bargain, actually. I don't know who would pay $300 for it when it's frequently on sale for half that, but even at 300 it's half of what a four track Portastudio cost 25 years ago, or a few hours of studio time today. And I like that the Ardour and Mixbus projects mutually benefit each other.

Mixbus' built-in compressors are crazy easy to use and sound great, the tape saturation is lovely, the busses already setup... everything just makes it soooo fast to get a decent sound without tinkering with plugins and routing things. And it is very easy on the eyes, which makes a difference. I've had two issues in the past year with it, and both times I had resolution through Harrison's amazing support within the hour.

Sacrilege I know, but I would give up Linux before I would give up Mixbus! :P

beck
Establlshed Member

Postby beck » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:33 pm

ssj71 wrote:if you aren't into analog sound then you probably aren't interested in harrison's plugins.

If that is for me (too). I do work analogue. And until now with great pleasure with ardour and a bunch of amazing plugins.
My first goal is to use as less plugins as possible by trying to record the analogue as near to the goal as possible. With plugins only to correct slightly.
With pleasure, because...

ufug wrote:But if you have limited time to work on your music then Mixbus pays for itself very quickly--it's an incredible bargain, actually.

... i as a non professional hobbyist have unlimited time to fool around trying and trying. And for the same reason it would never pay me back.
To be honest. I frequently even use audacity (already about 20 years), also still with great pleasure. In certain cases easier to use than ardour.

So we see again. Different people, different options (all good), different preferences and choises. Each with choises best for himselve.

glowrak guy
Establlshed Member

Postby glowrak guy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:54 am

rghvdberg wrote:
$300 is a bit to much for my humble needs.

Already 'bought' Ardour .. which felt good ;-)

Even though the regular mails from Harrison often include significant sales pricing,
I missed one bargain by purchasing 30 minutes too soon! :cry: or :lol: the product
is still excellent.
Cheers

luciorgomes
Establlshed Member

Postby luciorgomes » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:31 am

beck wrote:Still don't know what those are for. Sorry. Tape??

https://youtu.be/TvavviXag4Y

bluebell
Establlshed Member

Postby bluebell » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:18 am

beck wrote:
luciorgomes wrote:That is the tape simulator busses.

Still don't know what those are for. Sorry. Tape?? I'm glad i have digital Ardour know and got rid of tapes. :mrgreen: (joking)

I year ago I never thought that I'd ever use a saturator plugin. Its effect is subtile but audible if the mix is already good. It's the little bit of salt that makes the difference.

Now a saturator plugin is part of my standard chain in the master bus.

1.) EQ
2.) Multiband Compressor
3.) Tape Saturator
4.) Multiband Limiter

With this setup I am on my way to get that warmth, richness and loudness my ears are used to from commercial productions.

beck
Establlshed Member

Postby beck » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks luciorgomes and bluebell for your explanation.
Clears some for me. Very interesting.

Still,

bluebell wrote:Now a saturator plugin is part of my standard chain in the master bus.

1.) EQ
2.) Multiband Compressor
3.) Tape Saturator
4.) Multiband Limiter

I use the Calf Compressor from THJ.
This has settings which IMHO do far the same. Or does't it?
At first i try to record with dynamics (therefore guitar over amp for instance). And after that there are other plugin's with which i can do the same, like TAP Dynamics and sort.

I'm going in to that to find out more. Always an open mind for something new.
But until yet i'm not convinced.

sysrqer
Establlshed Member

Postby sysrqer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:21 pm

beck wrote:I use the Calf Compressor from THJ.
This has settings which IMHO do far the same. Or does't it?

No, saturation is not compression. The peaks can get reduced with saturation but it is not really compression.
There are lots of videos on youtube about mixing with saturation, try this one for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qpQn8BQ2I

beck
Establlshed Member

Postby beck » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks sysrqer.
Gonna find out more about this for sure.
Even still not totaly convinced yet though. Even not after watching that video. I do the same thing with the sound but otherwise.
But i want to know more about it. I'm triggered. :mrgreen:

Return to “Recorders & Sequencers”