Ardour working volumes question

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

beck
Establlshed Member

Ardour working volumes question

Postby beck » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Got me a question about ardour and it's in and out volumes.

My gear settup:
Mic or Instrument (some with pre-amp) -> analog mixer board -> pc in -> ARDOUR -> pc out -> amplifier -> speakers.

If i play what's in ardour it can be heard througt the amplifier.
If i play in through the mixer board i can record in ardour on the right volume.
While recording i hear ardour playing over the amplifier...

BUT ... (the problem)... the volume of what already in ardour (the non-recording but just playing tracks) is good. Where the volume/sound of the recording track is very low compared to the playing parts. Hardly to hear over that what's in ardour already. In a far distance.
When ik play what i've recorded before that volume is good again, with the rest what's in ardour.
So my conclusion is that all in and out volumes at in the beginning are set and working well. Just and only not the volume of the live recording at that moment.

Is this normal? That the out volume of the recording track is lower than the rest playing?
IMO it would be handy if i could hear what i was recording in the same volume as what i'm playing/singing with.
So my question: Is this normal? Or can this be set in ardour???? (if so, where?)

varpa
Establlshed Member

Re: Ardour working volumes question

Postby varpa » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:35 pm

You have issues with monitoring - see http://manual.ardour.org/recording/. If your mixer can be configured for direct monitoring that would be best, i.e. the signals being recording are sent directly to the outputs and bypass the computer which gives the lowest latency.
It does not sound like you use the mixer for playback, so you'd have to figure out a way to go from the mixer to your amp. If that is not possible, then you can set up Ardour to do monitoring as described in the link above.

beck
Establlshed Member

Re: Ardour working volumes question

Postby beck » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:23 pm

Many thanks varpa. This explaines a lot to me, if not all. At least enough to come to the solution of the problem.

Gonna try the ardour settings first as this is the easiest quick to apply option.

But as i read that monitoring directly is the best while no latency probs at all then, and because my mixer has several out's not in use spare, this i think will be what i want at the end. Only have to figure out multiple in (pc+mixer) on the amp then. (perhaps an small audio mixer will do)
So direct monitoring the mixer is a serious available posibility. :mrgreen:

Return to “Recorders & Sequencers”