Ardour not exporting audio

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funked up
Established Member

Ardour not exporting audio

Post by funked up »

Hello guys, a week ago I've installed the old Ardour version from the Software Center (ubuntu 14.04).
After struggling to learn how it works (Jack, kHz, LV2 plugins, killing Jack after closing Ardour, etc..) I started mixing & editing 16 tracks from a live performance.
Problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to export an audio file.

When I go to "Session - Export - Export session to file" and hit "export" it just produces a file which is 44kb and Ardour hangs until I force quit it.
Same thing happens when I go to "Session - Export - Export selected range to audio file".
Same thing happens also when I right click on the region I want to export and then go to "export region".

When I go to "Session - Export - Export selected regions to audio file" it kinda works but it exports only one track. It seems to be the track on which the cursor was when I've dragged my selection on the region. Note that I select the region by holding down "Shift" so I can select all the tracks.

Today I've installed Ardour 3 to see if I can make it work but I'm having the same problem there too except the "hanging". Beside that everything has to be mixed again and some plugins work kind of different compared to the older Ardour version. But that's a minor problem which can be fixed with some work.

There's a Log window in Ardour 3 after I hit quit exporting. The last of them was this:
[INFO]: Searching for export formats in /home/george/.config/ardour3/export:/usr/share/ardour3/export
[ERROR]: JACK: Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/5)(1: Η λειτουργία δεν επιτρέπεται)
[ERROR]: JACK: JackClient::AcquireRealTime error

Η λειτουργία δεν επιτρέπεται = This operation is not permitted (yep, that's Greek)

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanx, George.

p.s. I'm working on an old (upgraded) Lenovo ThinkPad R61i.
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
64-bit
120GB ssd
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz x 2
Intel 965GM
Pablo
Established Member

Re: Ardour not exporting audio

Post by Pablo »

JACK: Cannot use real-time scheduling
In order to use jack reliably real-time scheduling is needed. Copy the following to a terminal window:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -p high jackd2
You need to answer "Yes"

Then, add your username to the audio group. Of course, type your real username instead of "funkedup" in the following command:

sudo adduser funkedup audio
Restart the computer and try again
funked up
Established Member

Post by funked up »

Thank you for your reply Pablo.

When I type: (sudo adduser "myusername" audio) in the Terminal I get this: (The user "myusername" doesn't exist).
Don't know if I'm missing something here...

Actually the Log file I posted previously appear each time I start Ardour 3.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

What distro?

On mint there's an app to add yourself to groups.
funked up
Established Member

Post by funked up »

What distro?
As I said in my 1st post:
I'm working on an old (upgraded) Lenovo ThinkPad R61i.
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
64-bit
120GB ssd
Intel 965GM
headwar
Established Member

Post by headwar »

Maybe, first type :

whoami
to get your user name, then

sudo adduser user-name-from-whoami audio
funked up
Established Member

Post by funked up »

Sorry to bother you again but it seems that the problem is not solved.

After following your suggestions I've managed to export a wav file with Ardour 2 which I could play back on other applications.
With Ardour 3 it didn't work. So I continued working with the old version again but when I tried to export the same updated project Ardour "hanged" again at the export window.
At the beginning it seems that it's going to start exporting but then it hangs resulting in a few kb big file instead of the 56mb file that I previously exported.

First I thought that it might be a hardware limitation but then it wouldn't export the previous file.

Any thoughts?
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

This happened to me once in ardour 5.3
I tried a different export format and it failed.
When I choose cd wav (red book) again, everything worked.

The ardour devs told me they actually would like to get rid of jack because of this and other issues.
Ardour 5 can use alsa instead of jack. Ardour 5 is available in the kxstudio repos, but I guess you know that.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

funked up wrote:
What distro?
As I said in my 1st post:
I'm working on an old (upgraded) Lenovo ThinkPad R61i.
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
64-bit
120GB ssd
Intel 965GM
I'm sorry, my bad :-/
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

rghvdberg wrote:This happened to me once in ardour 5.3
I tried a different export format and it failed.
When I choose cd wav (red book) again, everything worked.

The ardour devs told me they actually would like to get rid of jack because of this and other issues.
Ardour 5 can use alsa instead of jack. Ardour 5 is available in the kxstudio repos, but I guess you know that.
I have issues with export in Ardour 4. I have this project that makes Ardour either crash silently, or freeze. When it happens, I can see that it leaves Jackd run wild - even after Ardour has been thoroughly killed - leaving a process that maxes out one processor core. So therefore I assume my problems are related to Ardours interaction with Jackd, and could in fact be a variation of the same problem.

Now, what you say is that the developers say, that there are issues with jack and ardour. But I hope they only mean during export!? Getting rid of jack entirely would be a problem for all interaction with other software.

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

A possible workaround is to restart jack with the dummy backend or use a conservative, high latency configuration (1024 frames/period or more) with the alsa backend. I usually do the latter and it works for me.
funked up
Established Member

Post by funked up »

Pablo wrote:A possible workaround is to restart jack with the dummy backend or use a conservative, high latency configuration (1024 frames/period or more) with the alsa backend. I usually do the latter and it works for me.
Restarting jack with the dummy backend (each time I want to export a wav file) worked for me on the old Ardour 2 version.
It still hangs on Ardour 3.5.403.

Anyway, I can live with that for now.
Thanx a lot Pablo!