Rosegarden and Zyn

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Paspie
Established Member

Rosegarden and Zyn

Post by Paspie »

Every so often I feel like firing up Jack and trying to do some work on various projects that use these software packages. My issue is that Rosegarden seems to 'tell' Zyn(AddSubFX) what instruments to use, even when I have loaded them from a save file. This happens every time I stop the sequencer and restart playback, and I have no clue what's going on. What do I need to change in order for Rosegarden to simply feed MIDI notation into Zyn, and not any other parameters?
caonoize
Established Member

Re: Rosegarden and Zyn

Post by caonoize »

Does that switcheroo happen each play? More recent versions, "2.5.1" and up, have a revert params selection in the first menu that will reload the XMZ file and restore your settings. If rosegarden does this at the start of play, this won't help, but I added that to cope with another sequencer stomping all over my settings.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Are you using the default General midi playback device in Rosegarden? If so create a new one. Rosegarden makes some unjustified assumptions and sends a nest of CCs to set GM stuff. Recent versions also send a bunch of CCs at the start of every new segment on a track. I've complained about this on the Rosegarden list but so far no response, so please have a go at them yourself..

In Yoshimi, we've had to add Ignore reset controllers as well as being able to disable bank, root and program changes to deal with some of this :(

P.S.
Rosegarden is far from the only sequencer making decisions on your behalf... without asking!
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Paspie
Established Member

Post by Paspie »

Even when I create separate devices (avoiding General MIDI) it is hit and miss. I have one project where there is no issues and one where there is, even though they're setup the same way, as far as I know.

EDIT: it turns out there were tracks set to General MIDI, even though they were dormant. I sorted that out, and also changed the channels to 'fixed' in the instrument parameters, and made sure all tracks were set to a different instrument. That seems to have fixed things.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Ah yes. I'd forgotten about the fixed/auto channel business. In the latest versions of Rosegarden 'fixed' is the default, but you may need to double-check with older saved projects.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}