No MIDI output with Qtractor

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rncbc
Established Member

Re: No MIDI output with Qtractor

Post by rncbc »

Mister Mint wrote:The problem with this DSSI "dialog" box is that I can only mark an instrument (so it gets green), not really "choose" it. Nothing happens when I click or dobbelt-click on it, and no sound from the "Send test note" button neither, - even before almost all sound disappeared.
so you seem to have a broader and bigger problem than just fluidsynth-dssi on qtractor not making any sound.

above all else, you first need to have jack working properly and reliable on that sound device.

only then all things will start making sense, together :)

byee
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

In the system sound setting, input is Jack Source, and output is Jack Sink, and everything in Cadence looks right.
Skærmbillede-Cadence.png
Skærmbillede-Cadence.png (83.56 KiB) Viewed 622 times
Skærmbillede-JACK Settings.png
Skærmbillede-JACK Settings.png (72.44 KiB) Viewed 622 times
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

first thing you have to ask is why jack is NOT started and running in "realtime" mode.

the other thing is, before anything else, turn off ALL bridges, whichever they are, and make sure you get a sane jack system working as it should.

please note that jack-sink or jack-source are name conventions that suggest you're trying to get something in/out from the jack-pulseaudio bridge. as said, turn it off, and only do start that when the basic jack system is running solid and reliable, never the other way around, like shooting in the dark.

one last thing, i really find it overkill and doomed to fail miserably to have both alsa and pulseaudio bridges started simultaneously--if ever possible--i believe you can only have one or the other, not both (nb. pulseaudio actually runs as a specialized alsa-loopback-bridge of its own).

hth.
cheers
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

Thanks for explaining, much appreciated.

When I turned on my computer today, the sound was "miraculously" back again :o And Qtractor works as it should, also the MIDI parts. Nice of course, but not so if you never know for how long... But after reading your post, I guess this instability could very well be caused by having both alsa and pulseaudio bridges started simultaneously, so I've stopped alsa now.

About realtime, are you sure I should tick the "realtime" mode, when I have a lowlatency kernel?
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Mister Mint wrote:About realtime, are you sure I should tick the "realtime" mode, when I have a lowlatency kernel?
absolutely! running in "realtime" mode is fundamental for the jack subsystem and concept ;) it doesn't matter which kernel is.

byee
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

Okay, thanks! :D