Amsynth presets in Qtractor

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

thebutant
Established Member

Amsynth presets in Qtractor

Post by thebutant »

I wonder if anyone has a solution for scrolling through the presets of Amsynth (LV2 plugin) in Qtractor.

Amsynth has lots of presets. So many, that when you're looking at presets in Qtractor, one screen won't show all of them (at least on my computer). But I find no way of scrolling to the ones I cannot see. There are loads of presets listed to the right of my screen, but out of my reach.

Does anyone know how to make them visible?
thebutant
Established Member

Re: Amsynth presets in Qtractor

Post by thebutant »

falkTX wrote:those presets are categorized in banks, each bank having < 200 presets I think.
so the best solution is to get qtractor to understand lv2 preset banks.
That might be. But just have Qtractor "turn the page" would also be very helpful. Now I know of amsynth presets that I use in the standalone synth, but are unable to use within Qtractor.

Actually I can use the up/down/left/right buttons to go into this area to the right of my screen (the area I cannot see), and I can choose presets by pressing enter. But I would be very lucky to find the right preset.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

falkTX wrote:those presets are categorized in banks, each bank having < 200 presets I think.
so the best solution is to get qtractor to understand lv2 preset banks.
must be talking about the (qtractor) plugin/Preset context-menu, for which might show an overwhelming menu/list... and as a matter of fact, off-screen menu navigation might also depend on the toolkit style in place--gtk+ is awful in many ways, did i tell you that before?:)

otoh. on the plugin/Properties... dialog the top-left drop-down also lists all the presets. there you can select and even name and save new ones.

and may i ask why you (OP) don't summon the amsynth's own GUI right-click menu? there i see all the presets pretty much categorized in sub-menus. and that might well just do for all instances (standalone, VST, LV2 and what more).

maybe if you try the VST vesrion you can take advantage of the MIDI instrument bank/program selection facilities available through Track/Properties... . sorry about the LV2 one just don't get it >:) oops. just tested the amsynth_vst and afaict. it doesn't expose its presets as banks or programs as VST programs whatever. so forget the previous as nuisance :)

hth.
cheers
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

rncbc wrote:and may i ask why you (OP) don't summon the amsynth's own GUI right-click menu? there i see all the presets pretty much categorized in sub-menus. and that might well just do for all instances (standalone, VST, LV2 and what more).
Because I had no idea!
This is obviously the best solution. This is actually a solution. Thank you so much!
I have simply never right-clicked on the amsynth before. Just noticed that the standalone version shows all the banks, while the lv2, vst and dssi versions don't.

Right-clicking and finding all the presets, even categorized, is better than scrolling through the neverending list of presets anyway.

(and yes, I've already tried if right-clicking will work on any synths, and it doesn't. just amsynth as far as I've seen)
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

You could make /usr/lib/vst/amsynth/banks
and /home/you/.amsynth/banks

They exist in /usr/lib/lv2/amsynth.lv2

and /usr/share/amsynth/banks

A cheap test for useage improvement.
Cheers