Sudden firewire input problem

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

LuckyAstronaut

Sudden firewire input problem

Post by LuckyAstronaut »

Hi Everyone,
I'm hoping I can get a hand. I'm new to ubuntu and learning quick, but seem to have just as quickly hit a wall. I recently set up a dual boot system to play around with linux to make music. I installed ubuntu studio 14.04LTS about 6 weeks ago and after a crap ton of reading and playing I had a great setup with JACK to connect Hydrogen, Ardour, my Edirol FA-66 input box and was starting to play with real time effects. Everything worked great until about a week ago.

I started up as I normally do but now I can only see "system" capture (2 inputs) and Playback (8 outputs). Seems I can still read MIDI from the FA66, but no audio inputs. After reading and trying my best to troubleshoot I know this:
1. the firewire cable and device is fine (I run a dual boot system with windows and can read audio input into different sequencer)
2. JACK still seems to work for purely internal connections - I can still connect and record individual Hydrogen tracks into Ardour)
3. I've tried killing pulseaudio as has been suggested in a few forums describing the same issue, but nothing improves

Right now, this is the error that's been coming up in the messages window on QjackCtl

Code: Select all

(qjackctl:9750): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
I'd really appreciate any help in trying to troubleshoot this to get my audio input back up and running.
Thanks in advance
aicram
Established Member

Re: Sudden firewire input problem

Post by aicram »

Dear LuckyAstronaut,

My firewire suddenly stopped working a couple of weeks ago. I have a fca202 on linuxmint 17.1 with kxstudio repos. In my case, it turned out that jack2 was uninstalled and I had jackd1 instead. This must have happened through an update somehow. I went back to jackd2 , which did not work immediately because I had to install jackd2-firewire. Once all the firewire packages were installed, went into cadence, reconfigured, and it worked. May have started ffado-mixer first come to think of it.

I found that patchage works the best for me for connecting my yamaha ypg235 keyboard. Tried catia but would not keep it connected and the cpu usage went through the roof. Do not know why. Qjackctl caused problems, too, or my mishandling of it caused problems. Only patchage seems to keep me connected and the cpu usage is very low.

Maybe your problem is different. Hope you get it working soon.

Sincerely,

aicram