Behringer uphoria um2 audio interface

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Josen

Behringer uphoria um2 audio interface

Post by Josen »

Hello, guys.

I'm a newbie in home studio and recording. I bought a Behringer Uphoria UM2 audio interface, which is coming. I found almost no material about its use in Linux distros. I'm using Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca in an Avell notebook i7 processor with 8GB memory and a NVIDIA 1GB video card. Soundcard is onboard.

I decided to take the risk when I bought the interface, because I watched a youtube video that the Uphoria UM2 worked well in Debian 8.2 with Audacity. I don't intend to use Ardour yet, because jack is a nightmare for my bad laptop hardware. It is also possible that I'm a little dumbass. :( Anyway, I wish to use alsa and pulseaudio with Audacity to simplify things.

My question is: is there anybody that have been used this interface in Linux distros? If so, is it worked "out of the box"?

Thanks a lot.
Konan13
Established Member

Re: Behringer uphoria um2 audio interface

Post by Konan13 »

Hello. I have Behringer UMC202 and it works fine on Manjaro and on Ubuntu out of box =) Just choose in settings of qjackctl (Ardour) Input/Output device UMC202. :D
Josen

Post by Josen »

Thank you, Konan13! I hope that my simple Uphoria UM2 be linux-friendly too. I'd love to use Ardour, but install and configure jack in my laptop is a passport to madness. I have searched some tutorials, but in general they don't have a step-by-step for dummies, which undoubtedly is my case.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I have a Behringer FCA1616 and it is working out nicely with Arch/Ubuntu Linux. With coaxial I/O, I get up to 10 inputs and 10 outputs -- both digital and analog.

Yes, it's a USB/FW audio interface, but I would say that just about all the Behringer audio interfaces are class-compliant.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
franz17zerk

Post by franz17zerk »

I am curious whether your UM2 worked out or not. I am looking to buy either that or the UMC22 but can't find whether they work well with Linux or not.
briganzia

Post by briganzia »

Yes please, tell us if your um2 audio interface is running well under Linux distro, thanks a lot :)
GibsonES335

Post by GibsonES335 »

The Behringer UPHORIA UMC202HD works like a charm in AV Linux and in KXStudio.

I am using it in AV Linux with Ardour and I am very impressed with its performance, especially for such an inexpensive, basic starter unit.

An old Shure Unisphere A PE585 dynamic mic from the early 1970s brings in the sound crystal clear without any noise (that I can detect, anyway), and a Gibson ES-335 Guitar plugged into the 2nd input on the 202 comes in clean, gorgeous and about as perfect as you can get. Bass guitar sounds perfect to me, as well.

All I did was plug in the Behringer, followed the AV Linux directions in the manual to launch and set up Jack in mere moments, launched Ardour, set up a session and immediately started recording.

It was also working in the KXStudio live version, but I did not like the KDE interface and the theme was too gloomy and difficult to read at times, so I installed AV Linux as dual boot alongside openSUSE.

Thoroughly pleased with the results, and in fact a bit astonished at the quality.

For the record, this is a (approximately) 10-yr-old Asus laptop.
mark swanson
Established Member

Post by mark swanson »

I have used Behringer interfaces as well, they work just fine. And as far as I know, they provide you with a free DAW called Tracktion, and I think you get Tracktion 7 free with purchase. it's very good, and has become my DAW of choice. And there is a Linux version that works fine. But you'll probably have to use JACK for just about any DAW you use, but it isn't that hard....most of it was automatic for me.