How to layer many audio tracks & have them played w/MIDI?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

DanielKonopka
Established Member

How to layer many audio tracks & have them played w/MIDI?

Post by DanielKonopka »

Hello to Everyone,

I'm Daniel and new to the community. Would like to welcome all.

I'm looking for a tool to enable me to layer multiple audio tracks and to be able to play them all back with MIDI, just like with a sampler, with pitchshifting too. But with the difference, that I need to be able to shift the individual tracks or clips in time - with a conventional sampler I cannot do that, at least not quickly.

Something like Audacity would be great, but it needs to support MIDI.
In other words, I'm looking for a timeline controlled with MIDI (chromatically, not just transport controls).

Upon sending it a MIDI Note On(s) it plays all the stacked audio tracks as one, just like pressing Play in Ardour or Audacity, but with the addition of pitchshifting, according to the MIDI Note(s) being sent.

I need this for transient layering (drums, synths, bass, etc.), so that I'm able to shift the transient part against the reset of the layered patch, whenever I want, listen to it, without having to mixdown and record the resulting sound first.
Last edited by DanielKonopka on Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rncbc
Established Member

Re: How to layer many audio tracks & have them played w/MIDI

Post by rncbc »

DanielKonopka wrote:I'm looking for a tool to enable me to layer multiple audio tracks and to be able to play them all back with MIDI, just like with a sampler, with pitchshifting too. But with the difference, that I need to be able to shift the individual tracks or clips in time - with a conventional sampler I cannot do that, at least not quickly.
sounds like exactly a primary job description for qtractor ;)

byee
DanielKonopka
Established Member

Post by DanielKonopka »

DanielKonopka wrote:Upon sending it a MIDI Note On(s) it plays all the stacked audio tracks as one, just like pressing Play in Ardour or Audacity, but with the addition of pitchshifting, according to the MIDI Note(s) being sent.
Thanks for reply rncbc. :) Basically, I need a sampler with a timeline, on which I can move/slide the sample clips freely, with sample-accuracy. Something along the lines of Renoise's sampler (but unfortunately, it does not let me shift the samples, only cut or trim them destructively and I'm looking for a non-destructive way to do the same) + QTractor's timeline together. Can QTractor do this?
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

DanielKonopka wrote:
DanielKonopka wrote:Upon sending it a MIDI Note On(s) it plays all the stacked audio tracks as one, just like pressing Play in Ardour or Audacity, but with the addition of pitchshifting, according to the MIDI Note(s) being sent.
Thanks for reply rncbc. :) Basically, I need a sampler with a timeline. Something along the lines of Renoise's sampler (but it does not let me shift the samples, only cut or trim them destructively and I'm looking for a non-destructive way to do the same) + QTractor's timeline together. Can QTractor do this?
no, qtractor is not a sampler; sorry.

what you ask is probably about editing a multi-layer/region sampled instrument, rendered by a full-blown sampler like linuxsapler indeed. imho. the answer to your question is all about the *editing* of the soundfont--both .gig and .sfz allow for multi-layer or region samples and a lot more, like muti-dimensions and diverse articulations and what not.

you're probably asking for what i call a "soundfont editor", i guess. on linux there's swami, gigedit, polyphone, etc. however i'm afraid none presents you with a timeline, but rather a piano keyboard for laying out sample regions.

hth.
cheers
DanielKonopka
Established Member

Post by DanielKonopka »

Thank you, all these tools are indeed very helpful. However, I would like to avoid the neccessity to edit SoundFont files, for me it is too time consuming. Or, maybe I'm wrong? I'm looking for a tool with a timeline, that can be triggered with MIDI. Something like Non Timeline:

But triggered by MIDI Note On, so that playback tempo of all the stacked audio tracks is set according to the Note being sent. That's the way it is done in Renoise's intermal sampler. If only it allowed to shift the samples nondestructively, it would be perfect.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985