Composing with Rosegarden Notation Editor

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

cgwannabe

Composing with Rosegarden Notation Editor

Post by cgwannabe »

I am new to Rosegarden and want to use it for music composition. My plan was to use a midi keyboard to enter the tune in the notation editor (using step recording), paying attention only to pitch at first (e.g. entering them all as 1/4 notes) and then go back and fix the duration of the notes. However, when I change the note durations, Rosegarden "helpfully" tries to keep the notes in their current bars. So, for example, if I change a 1/4 note to a 1/8 note, it will add a 1/8 rest, if I change it to a 1/2 note, it makes a tied chord with the following note, etc. What I would like is that when I change a 1/4 note to a 1/8 note, it simply moves all the following notes 1/8 beat earlier (similar to a cut and close) and when I change a 1/4 note to a 1/2 note all the following notes are moved 1/4 beat later (like open and paste). Is there any way to do this? If not, what is the usual procedure for jotting down a tune in notation editor?
Thanks for any help.
raboof
Established Member

Re: Composing with Rosegarden Notation Editor

Post by raboof »

cgwannabe wrote:What I would like is that when I change a 1/4 note to a 1/8 note, it simply moves all the following notes 1/8 beat earlier (similar to a cut and close) and when I change a 1/4 note to a 1/2 note all the following notes are moved 1/4 beat later (like open and paste). Is there any way to do this?
Not as far as I know - the 'sequencer' view might be more convenient for this phase of your work?
If not, what is the usual procedure for jotting down a tune in notation editor?
I usually enter the notes directly with the right length.