Alternatives to Hydrogen?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

asbak
Established Member

Re: Alternatives to Hydrogen?

Post by asbak »

Just use a sequencer of choice and send drum track MIDI out to Hydrogen. Simple.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

I finally cleared out a studio space in my basement and bought a real drum set. Best decision of my life!! :cool:

In the vaporware realm, I was also developing a DAW/Sequencer called "Tritium" aka H3. My original plan was to mod Hydrogen but that codebase turned out to be a big old mess. But my Tritium prototype does have some nice looping features meant to fill Hydrogen's shoes. I would love to finish that project when I have more free time!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

tnovelli wrote:I finally cleared out a studio space in my basement and bought a real drum set. Best decision of my life!! :cool:

In the vaporware realm, I was also developing a DAW/Sequencer called "Tritium" aka H3. My original plan was to mod Hydrogen but that codebase turned out to be a big old mess. But my Tritium prototype does have some nice looping features meant to fill Hydrogen's shoes. I would love to finish that project when I have more free time!
this project sounds interesting.. do you need to make it a complete DAW or just maybe an improvement on Hydrogen?

the reason I'm asking that is because you already don't have the time, why add the headache of recording audio like your README says?

Wouldn't that be a fresh can of worms making it a DAW? You know the next step would be 'I need lv2 support? Can I use vsts in?' and so on.

Also, Hydrogen I use for metal, hip-hop, blues, you name it. Would your project be able to do that and include the humanizer?

is it ready for testing yet? I'm using Arch.

[disclaimer: I'm no way a dev so I couldn't help out that way but testing I can.]
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

funkmuscle wrote:this project sounds interesting.. do you need to make it a complete DAW or just maybe an improvement on Hydrogen?

the reason I'm asking that is because you already don't have the time, why add the headache of recording audio like your README says?

Wouldn't that be a fresh can of worms making it a DAW? You know the next step would be 'I need lv2 support? Can I use vsts in?' and so on.
Audio is actually easy; I'm more worried about mixers, plugins, and plugin automation. If I can leverage JACK apps like Carla and Non-Mixer and NSM for that, Tritium could be pretty simple, less ambitious than my original plan. I need to experiment with those to see if they can possibly give me a smoother workflow than Qtractor or Ardour. If it's simple and useful and people keep asking about it, there's a decent chance of me getting it done.

Nope, it's not ready for testing yet.
Also, Hydrogen I use for metal, hip-hop, blues, you name it. Would your project be able to do that and include the humanizer?
Sure, should work for most styles. I do metal, blues, classical. I'll add a Humanizer to my wishlist.

Could you use something like Drumkv1 or DrumGizmo (hmm, a drum sampler plugin with a humanizer...) or would you want the whole drum machine to be builtin?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

tnovelli wrote:Could you use something like Drumkv1 or DrumGizmo (hmm, a drum sampler plugin with a humanizer...) or would you want the whole drum machine to be builtin?
I use DrumGizmo and Hydrogen. If you can create something to you both apps kits or use Hydrrogen's kit and Drumgizmo as a plugin would be awesome..