FL Studio piano roll

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nieve-casata
Established Member

FL Studio piano roll

Post by nieve-casata »

I'm moving to Linux in a few days. Is there a Linux DAW that has a piano roll like the one in FL Studio? That one allows you to edit any control that you select with a right click - Q, envelope, etc. - within the piano roll, in the note property editor; not in the Song Editor, as in LMMS. In the piano roll, it's easier for me to make and place specific automations (my music is very expressive). Most DAW's piano rolls seem to allow editing only velocity and panning from each note.

I'm investigating on my own; but I think that posting here would be helpful. If what I'm looking for does not exist for Linux, I guess I'd just have to change the way I make some things.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: FL Studio piano roll

Post by glowrak guy »

bitwig has a linux version demo, here is one feature of the piano roll:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdq714Z6gC0

The demo is useful as an effects rack, before payday arrives.
Cheers
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Bitwig is probably gonna be your best bet for Linux, especially if you're used to something like FL Studio (FL Studio is my main Daw too). Recently I've been playing around with the stuff that comes with Kxstudio, Harrison Mixbus (V3) and the Bitwig demo. Bitwig just feels the most full featured, intuitive and professional out of the lot that I've tried. Please let me know if you find it to be different though :)
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Can't qtractor do that? Unless I'm missing something...
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

I will admit, I'm not sure of the full extent of qtractor's capabilities. I spent a reasonably short amount of time with the native Linux software I've tried. But I think for someone coming from FLS, Bitwig will feel the most homely. Or at least it did to me.. Then again, I always loved Ableton Live :P

It's always worth experimenting with the different software available before making your mind up though. I have very limited knowledge on native Linux software compared to the majority of users here, I'm sure! I'm interested to see where nieve-casata ends up.
caonoize
Established Member

Post by caonoize »

glowrak guy wrote:bitwig has a linux version demo, here is one feature of the piano roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdq714Z6gC0

The demo is useful as an effects rack, before payday arrives.
Cheers
Tabbed overlays would be a VERY nice feature to add to QTractor. That would make certain jobs MUCH easier.
JSantos
Established Member

Post by JSantos »

Tabbed overlays would make QTractor as powerful as Logic Pro X. Combined with an FL Studio piano roll, that'll be the day I stop exporting stuff from my Windows to my Linux rig.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

I have never tried FL Studio, I looked at some tutorial for the pianoroll and it looked like a.. pianoroll :) pretty much what we have in MusE ;) Some shortcuts look well placed though and probably provide a good work flow.

Regarding editing with overlays, we have this feature in MusE, just select several parts hit Ctrl+E and edit them in the same editor. We don't have common pianoroll window though so it might be a bit more cumbersome than Bitwig.

All in all, my advise if you arrive from a fully fleshed out tool like FL Studio and need to switch, you are probably best served with a commercial solution.
I love my open source stuff and will forever use, abuse and improve them but there is always a certain degree of self punishment involved ;)

/Robert
MusE DAW
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

Taking notes for my (vaporware) Tritium DAW/sequencer/arranger.
Right-click note params, MusE ^E overlay edit... those sound like good ideas.
caonoize wrote:Tabbed overlays would be a VERY nice feature to add to QTractor. That would make certain jobs MUCH easier.
Paging @rncbc! (I don't know if he'll see that.. we could PM him or submit a feature request on github)
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

tnovelli wrote:Taking notes for my (vaporware) Tritium DAW/sequencer/arranger.
Right-click note params, MusE ^E overlay edit... those sound like good ideas.
caonoize wrote:Tabbed overlays would be a VERY nice feature to add to QTractor. That would make certain jobs MUCH easier.
Paging @rncbc! (I don't know if he'll see that.. we could PM him or submit a feature request on github)
i can vaguely remember someone in this very forum making strides over the qtractor midi clip editor, in the way of layers or presenting multiple sequences in colored background layers... at least some screenshots were here shown, i swear :)

however there were no pull-requests whatsoever in that regard to date.

byee

ps. found the thread here:
Editing several MIDI tracks at the same place
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

Thanks for the link Rui. I guess if anyone implements this in Qtractor it'll probably have to be a fresh start, as @witchspace, who coded up that prototype, was last on here a year ago. It would need some UI work, and needs to be stable, but at least we know it's possible. I could, but I won't have a use for it, like, this year. So if anyone else wants to step up, go for it...