Looking to control JACK transport via hotkeys or MIDI

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

makra

Looking to control JACK transport via hotkeys or MIDI

Post by makra »

First of all, my reason for wanting the above is that I use non-daw. It is great and suits my needs perfectly. The only problem is that due to it being modular, I can't control non-timelines transport via hotkeys unless its window is in focus.

I'm looking for other ways to control JACK transport, so that it doesn't matter which window has focus when I want to start/stop non-timeline. Two ways I am wondering about are the use of hotkeys or MIDI. I'm not even sure if the former is workable, and I still haven't found a way to do this via MIDI.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can achieve either of the above, or alternatively, any other ways that work for controlling JACK transport that would solve my 'window not in focus' issue? Thanks in advance
Luc
Established Member

Re: Looking to control JACK transport via hotkeys or MIDI

Post by Luc »

From what I see, Non Timeline does not support MIDI at all. There is no such option in any menu or submenu whatsoever, and it doesn't create any kind of input or output in a patchbay. It doesn't look like hotkeys are supported either. Perhaps you should turn to another similar program, such as Ardour, which is a lot more powerful though probably not as quick and simple to use.
makra

Post by makra »

Luc wrote:From what I see, Non Timeline does not support MIDI at all. There is no such option in any menu or submenu whatsoever, and it doesn't create any kind of input or output in a patchbay.

I am not looking to directly control non-timelines transport as I know it has no such options via MIDI, this is why I am hoping to find a way to control JACK transport via MIDI as a workaround.
Luc wrote:Perhaps you should turn to another similar program, such as Ardour, which is a lot more powerful though probably not as quick and simple to use.
I am a long time Ardour user. It is getting too bloated for my needs and I really am drawn to non-daws simplicity. This isn't a deal breaker for me by any means but I would like to find a way to control transport without having to worry about window focus.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

you could set up a keybinding program like xbindkeys (or if you're using a DE, whatever their default is) to invoke the jack_transport utility or use a simple scripting language like python+mididings to invoke the same utility using midi