Ardour, default settings

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

paul
Established Member

Ardour, default settings

Post by paul »

Hi. Is there a way to tell Ardour which settings to use as default?

For example, I would like OSC to be *enabled* everytime I start Ardour, so I don't have to open the preferences every time.
Also when I create a new track or bus, no matter what it defaults to "mono". I would like, for example, to have it the same as the last added track (exactly as it does for the other fields)
...and so on.

How can I do this?

Thanks!
Keep on rocking in the free world!
x42
Established Member

Re: Ardour, default settings

Post by x42 »

paul wrote:Hi. Is there a way to tell Ardour which settings to use as default?

For example, I would like OSC to be *enabled* everytime I start Ardour, so I don't have to open the preferences every time.
Also when I create a new track or bus, no matter what it defaults to "mono". I would like, for example, to have it the same as the last added track (exactly as it does for the other fields)
...and so on.

How can I do this?

Thanks!
Which version of Ardour is that (Menu > Help > About)? Ardour 4.2 should do most what you mention already.

Preferences are saved in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/ardour4/config (usually $HOME/.config/ardour4/config). Control surfaces are already saved there. If you enable OSC it stays enabled.

Please verify that

Code: Select all

grep OSC ~/.config/ardour4/config
returns

Code: Select all

<Protocol name="Open Sound Control (OSC)" feedback="yes" active="yes"/>
One cannot change the initial defaults of the "Add Track or Bus" dialog, but while the session is active the most recently used settings will stay; except for "Configuration", which always selects the first available for the given track template.

I suggest to file a feature request at http://tracker.ardour.org - some additional logic will be needed to retain the most recently used, if and only if it is still available with the current track/bus template.

PS. I'm curious, adding tracks or busses is a one-off operation and you can already create 128 tracks of the same configuration in one go. Personally I didn't find the current behavior inconvenient, but that may depend on the workflow.
I usually use the default name and then change it later by edit a name in the track-header, <Tab> to jump to the next track.
Session and track templates also allow for a efficient workflow.