Bitwig Studio on Arch Linux

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tw_bombe

Bitwig Studio on Arch Linux

Post by tw_bombe »

Hey there,
I installed the Bitwig Studio demo from the AUR on my arch linux machine. However it doesn't find any audio interfaces (in the dialog window the dropdown list just shows 'none' and I can't select any other option). I installed Bitwig Studio on my laptop, which is running Fedora, without any problems. I tried installing Jack, which I can't get to work either, but it should at least recognize ALSA or PulseAudio or am I mistaken? I've also installed LMMS which recognizes ALSA just fine and audio output is not a problem. Is there something wrong with Bitwig or does it require some special setup?

Thanks for your help in advance :)
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Bitwig Studio on Arch Linux

Post by glowrak guy »

Make sure you have the same jackd version installed as the fedora install?
And install all the xcb libs/items available in arch.

Also, to aid midi controller detection, run

modprobe snd_seq
modprobe snd_virmidi

If a long list of 'invisible' entries in the midi controller selection dialog appears,
choose the first one beneath 'none'.

Cheers
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Did you first configure, and then start qjackctl before starting bitwig?
Cheers
tw_bombe

Post by tw_bombe »

Hey, thank you for your quick replies.
@glowrak guy: Yes, I configured qjackctl beforehand, but Bitwig didn't recognize any interface.

I played around a bit more and got Bitwig Studio to work by installing Cadence, but I got a lot of problems with other applications (VirtualBox, Wine,...). I'll try a fresh install of Jack, Cadence & Bitwig Studio in the next few days and post the steps I took here if anyone else runs into this problem. I just tried random stuff in the last 2 days, running from one error into another, so I'm not able to post any solution as of now. :D
But hopefully a new installation and a more organized approach will lead to some step-by-step solution for other Arch & Bitwig Studio users :)

Thanks for your help!