[SOLVED] Ardour 4 and opening older version session.

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CrocoDuck
Established Member

[SOLVED] Ardour 4 and opening older version session.

Post by CrocoDuck »

Hi guys!
Without not even noticing it my Arch box pulled in the newest shining version of Ardour. These days a guy found Interesting one of my recordings and would like to make a remix. "No problem! I still have my Ardour 3 (actually Ardour 2...) session with me, I will export the tracks to you!..." No way! Ardour 4 CRASHES vary badly when trying to open older version sessions... and what all that options are there for! In the old days the procedure was:

Start jack
Start Ardour
Profit

why all that options at startup? To make things harder??? (sorry for the rant...)...
Any of you experiencing any issue? If so, did you find any solution? I am seriously about to purge Ardour 4 and reinstall Ardour 3...
Last edited by CrocoDuck on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: Ardour 4 and opening older version session.

Post by CrocoDuck »

Thanks for your reply!

I have tried to compare the Ardour console output trying to open files I am able to import and this one that makes Ardour to crash and yes, I think it is a bug since the error that prevents everything from running is:

Code: Select all

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
watched PID no longer exists - releasing device.
I have been trying stuff with .bak copies of the sessions and the -2000 created by Ardour 4 and I think I have messed up since not even Ardour 3.3 can open the session now... I didn't try the Nightly Build as I don't like to install packages without pacman... but I suppose that it would not help since not even the version I used for recording (Ardour 3) can open the session anymore...

Well... It was a bug and I messed up trying to find a workaround... Got mixed feelings about it :oops: :x :cry: :cry:

I have basically lost an entire session... so bad...
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

CrocoDuck reporting after trying the nightly build:

unfortunately, it doesn't work... but I contact the developers. Wish I can at least help in solving a bug.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

A bug indeed. Reported and solved.