midi input type to use with ardour audio recordings

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

baconature
Established Member

Re: midi input type to use with ardour audio recordings

Post by baconature »

As previously stated, I rarely use the command line due to not knowing what all the command code does. Further more because of this ignorance, I wish to avoid complications with double loading programs or failure to gain all dependency related files, causing additional untraceable (to me) system problems due to not knowing what all the codes available actually do. Thus I use synaptic to gain access to software.

In looking at synaptic, there is no listing for "lv2," while there are numerous listings that contain lv2 somewhere in the name, either a prefix or a suffix to it. Going down the list provided by falkTX, I found none of those items specifically listed in synaptic. It is not that I don't trust that falkTX has provided good information, I simply can't verify anything which that methodology of input can do prior to its implementation, or even after. Furthermore, in my look at synaptic while trying to find "lv2," of those numerous items that contain "lv2" within the listed names, many, though not all, of them are installed on this system. I reckon it is easy for those with training and an understanding in commands beside an understanding of all the acronyms used with conversations surrounding digital audio systems, rather than complete language, but I don't know either of those two things. I am ignorant, admittedly so, and I would like to know what I am doing, rather than blindly jumping into a fire because someone suggested it as the correct thing to do.

So there is nothing new with this issue on this computer. It remains the same, no flexibility in, or likely even correctness in the setup of the system that can facilitate audio output in using the midi portion of ardour4. I do now however have a semi-working version of KXStudio, something that I was previously unable to accomplish. Although this may be a better system for what I am attempting to accomplish, it doesn't provide what is required to fulfil the overall goal, producing quality recordings of my music. This is my goal as it has been since dropping out of the pay to play world of mac and microsuck all those years ago. The old windows 98 box still works, allowing use of that old cakewalk pro audio 9, but it can't actually facilitate my goal as good as what I know modern FLOSS (having nothing to do with cleaning my teeth) can do. I am a simple singer songwriter, not a tech wizard.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Good to hear progress is being made. Synaptic has a search box on the main screen,
give it a key word, and it will list all relating items that can be found in your chosen repos.
On the lower left of the gui, are buttons for viewing status, search, sections, custom,
and you can switch between the view as needs be.

When doing a fresh install, the search keywords you could use to get the audio system going are
alsa jack sound lv2 vst ladspa dssi wine plugin carla, each list will save you scrolling time.

Showing just the installed items lets you prune away apps you don't use.
To be safe, I don't uninstall any libs, and I cancel removals that promise to
remove a large number of other items, to unknown consequence.

Synaptic's own description of itself in synaptic:
"Synaptic is a graphical package management program for apt.
It provides the same features as the apt-get command line
utility with a GUI front-end based on Gtk+"

Sometimes it is easier to do a simple task by command, than
launching a gui app. typing 'apt-get install rakarrack' would be faster than
launching synaptic, scrolling to rakarrack, or using the search function.
Cheers
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

Hey,
In carrying on with figuring this stuff out, I have made progress yet again. It is other than what I would expect yet it is possible to accomplish the mission ahead.

glowrak guy, thanks for the assist. I have discovered that one has to know what is wanted before hand rather than after the fact. In that I mean, to manually input the content of a midi file through the piano-roll interface, one should know the exact synth to be used, and select it when creating a track. In the past, I have always both wanted to and used the flexibility allowed by choosing after beginning work on a track, ie, knowing that I wanted to use multi instruments, I would initially create the number of tracks equal to how many instruments I thought I'd need, and select the synth type and instrument when I got to the point of writing out the track. This interface seemingly does not allow changing the synth afterword. My methodology is seemingly wrong. This seemingly required method does not allow experimentation to discover what is available. Because I have no experience with the various synths available their names are to me meaningless. Thus I guess it will take a great deal of time to go through the various possibilities in order to experience the sounds they can create and what their representations of instrument sounds actually sound like.

Anyway, thanks for reading and assisting. This Linux DAW stuff remains the hard road to walk down. So it goes. I am on the road and it is seemingly a long way to getting what I am trying to achieve. I couldn't succeed without your help along the way. Thanks!

Now if only I can get the text to speech reader to work along side Cadence? The reader will work before I open Cadence, but not afterword or during its use. It seems highly illogical but that is just me.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music