rendering (not recording) MIDI tracks using sfz

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

meinfretur
Established Member

rendering (not recording) MIDI tracks using sfz

Post by meinfretur »

I sequenced some MIDI tracks in Rosegarden. I'd like to render them as WAV files using the Salamander Grand Piano sfz.

Is there a way to do this NOT in real time (i.e., offline rendering)? I ask because it seems that sending MIDI from one program to another and then sending it elsewhere to record will introduce latency I'll have to remove later, and also the MIDI playback from Rosegarden doesn't always adhere strictly to the tempo I've set.

I know this kind of rendering can be done with samples in the sf2 format using Fluidsynth in the terminal, but can any software do this with sfz? I would be able to do this in Ardour 3 with the Linuxsampler plugin, except that some of the tracks have tempo ramps.

Thanks!
bluebell
Established Member

Re: rendering (not recording) MIDI tracks using sfz

Post by bluebell »

Sorry, can't help you with this.

But my experiences with Rosegardean are ok regarding timing.
You can minimize Latencies by using linuxsampler-dssi as a "synth instrument" in Rosegarden.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Here is a way to record a midi file in realtime which is not quite rendering you seek, but it is the best I can figure out to do on on linux at present. You can use Carla in "Continuous Rack" mode to load a midi file, then an SFZ (or gigasampler or SF2) file, then any effects you want. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG3M2Ink22A for an example. (The current Carla seems to lack the right panel used to load the midi file in the video, but you can drag a midi file into Carla). Use the Carla transport control to start/stop midi playback. To record the sound you can use command "jack_capture -jt". The -jt option means jack_capture will only record when jack transport is running (obviously start jack_capture before using Carla to start jack transport). jack_capture will create a file called jack_capture_01.wav. There are options available to control the output filename and format.

Once you have Carla configured as desired you can make a preset to recreate your setup. You can change the midi file by clicking the top-left corner middle icon on the Carla midi-file rack (icon is a rectangle with a corner cut) to open a file browser to select another midi file.
meinfretur
Established Member

Post by meinfretur »

Thanks for the responses! I hadn't realized Linuxsampler could be used as a plugin in Rosegarden. (Nor had I realized that about Fluidsynth or Zynaddsubfx -- I had seen them in the menu probably the first time I used Rosegarden and promptly forgot about it.) That greatly simplifies matters and basically solves my problem now that I've figured out how to record audio inside Rosegarden. Even when I get glitches during playback, they don't seem to show up in the recorded track, which is great.

(The only other program I'm currently sequencing with MIDI is Pd, and I've found that the [seq] object gives good results for playing MIDI files internally.)

I wasn't aware of Carla either, so thanks for bringing it to my attention as another option!
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

fwiw. you may find that the latest qtractor v0.6.7 (lepton acid beta) can cope with what you ask as well provided you use eg. linuxsampler plugins (either dssi or lv2 genres).

cheers
Babarosa
Established Member

Post by Babarosa »

Polyphone (http://sourceforge.net/projects/polypho ... 0releases/) is able to load and play sf2 as well as sfz soundfonts. It includes a tool to record received midi information to wav files. Polyphone v1.4 is for qt4, v1.5+ for qt5.

Debian 12 - MOTU M4, ESI Maya22 USB - Rosegarden, Reaper

meinfretur
Established Member

Post by meinfretur »

Awesome, I'll try those as well!