Midi help

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Bryan88
Established Member

Midi help

Post by Bryan88 »

Appologies for a long post, and for not looking elsewhere hard enough. Getting midi to work has been my quest since I started with Linux and I just can't seem to get anywhere.
I have lots of midi files that I have gathered over the years that I need to edit (remove tracks, change keys ect) I don't compose or use external midi devices. At the moment I'm trying to use Rosegarden, but although I can see the tracks I can't for the life of me get any sound (I do have Fluidsynth GM and GS soundfonts installed). What I find confusing is that I have Hydrogen, Tuxguitar and VLC all working re midi.
I have been using Ted's Linux MIDI guide (amongst many others) for help, but would rather not use JACK as I've had nothing but trouble with it. My system is Mint 17 XFCE, but I have tried a AVLinux live dvd on both this computer and my laptop with no luck.
Anyway, to start at the very beginning will I actually be able to do midi on this machine? Here are some specs, hope they are usefull

bryan@bryan-OEM ~ $ grep audio /etc/group
audio:x:29:pulse,timidity (audio bright red colour, does that indicate a problem?)
bryan@bryan-OEM ~ $

bryan@bryan-OEM ~ $ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xfdff8000 irq 44
bryan@bryan-OEM ~ $

bryan@bryan-OEM ~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
bryan@bryan-OEM ~ $

bryan@bryan-OEM ~ $ inxi -F
System: Host: bryan-OEM Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.11.8 Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: Mobo: Foxconn model: G31MXP/G31MXP-K version: FAB:1.0 Bios: Phoenix version: 6.00 PG date: 04/10/2009
CPU: Single core Intel Celeron CPU 430 (-UP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) clocked at 1807.386 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G33 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.1.0
Audio: Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 90:fb:a6:39:59:e5
Drives: HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (73.5% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HDS72101 size: 160.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 51G used: 34G (71%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.06GB used: 0.07GB (7%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 141 Uptime: 3:55 Memory: 381.2/991.5MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
bryan@bryan-OEM ~ $

Any advice or places to look for more info would be greatly apreciated
Thanks
RockHopper
Established Member

Re: Midi help

Post by RockHopper »

I think the on-board sound chip is the source of your woes here! They're fine for playing back media files, etc but not up to much when it comes to making music. You could pick up a tried and trusted second-hand MAudio Audiophile 24/96 for around £20. The card will likely clear up your troubles with JACK which will open up a whole bunch of new possibilities. The AVLinux live DVD is actually a very good place to get started with Linux audio and comes with a handy 'getting started' guide. You just need the right tools for the job first!

To answer your question about loading SF2 soundfonts in Rosegarden: first, right click on a track (where it says <untitled>) and select Synth Plugin #1; the panel on the left will change accordingly. In the box marked Instrument Parameters click on <no synth>. A new window will pop up. From the Plugin drop-down menu select FluidSynth DSSI plugin. Close the pop-up window, and click the Editor button in the Instrument Parameters box. Another windows pops up. Here, click on Load Soundfont then Test Sound.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

" My system is Mint 17 XFCE"

My approach to Mint 17, was to immediately use synaptic to remove all of pulse-audio ( libpulse and a config app
remained due to dependencies) and remove all the non-audio apps. Then install all the audio things that
wouldn't let pulse sneak back in.

The mAudio card mentioned is great, has midi, audio, and digital i/o of fine quality,
and works in any modern linux, with little if any fiddling around. I've had one
for many happy moons.

You might try the bitwig linux demo, if you have a 64bit linux,
to test it's midi editing capability.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=434521
cianoc
Established Member

Post by cianoc »

I've had no problems with an internal intel sound card on my hacked chromebook. I suspect the problem is pulse audio.

Install either KXStudio, or AVLinux. They take care of midi/audio for you (I prefer KXStudio). If you want to keep Mint for other things, that's fine, you can install KXStudio on the same computer (providing you have the diskspace).
Bryan88
Established Member

Post by Bryan88 »

Thanks for the replies everyone, just a few questions
With regard to removing Pulseaudio and "all other apps" This is my main pc so I need my word processing/internet ect, would those need be removed too?
With regard to installing KXStudio and keeping Mint,would that be as a dual boot or could I just use the KXStudio bits? I already have Windows XP as a dual boot (the only reason is for Cakewalk), and could I get it from Synaptic? Not Linux savvy enough for compling and tarballs yet.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

You can add the kx repositories, without needing an extra boot option,
a list of commands to set that up is at

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Repositories

You can keep and add all the apps you like, that was just my chosen way for an audio-only setup.
Mint is actually a good choice for the general duty linux pc. Synaptic lets you select items to
add or remove, and will advise of any consequences, or the rare impossibility. You might consider
altering it's file preferences to 'keep all downloaded files'. Once installed, they reside in
/var/cache/apt/archives

Copy them to a folder on a backup drive,
to be re-used later in life, perhaps after a fresh install, or on a friends computer. Copy them back to
/var/cache/apt/archives when desired. Packages that have not been replaced by newer versions,
will be used again, saving download bandwidth/time.
And occasionally, having the older versions available, will allow you to avoid an update regression or
some rare/temporary incompatibility.

Go online
start synaptic
press reload (to get fresh updates)
select items to add/remove (use the 'search' function, saves a lot of time)
press Apply
click the 'show details' box in the apply dialog box, to review what is about to change, if desired.
click Cancel or Apply on that box

Reboot if system files are among the updates. Eye-candy level things might only need a log-out/in,
and some apps will work in the current session.

It is good luck never to remove libs, unless fully confident of the results.
Creating a separate /home partition, is also handy if you do lots custom settings,
which can often be preserved during new installs, by choosing not to re-partition /home
during the install setup process.
Cheers

edit: 'what ain't broke, don't need fixin'
When things work, leave them alone, and record music :D
Bryan88
Established Member

Post by Bryan88 »

Thanks very much, I will give it a try. I have made a KXStudio USB but really struggling to even get an mp3 to play. Guess I need to keep reading and learning.
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

There's a lot of good info here including articles and tutorials: http://libremusicproduction.com
Bryan88
Established Member

Post by Bryan88 »

So I finally got something to happen! I can get Rosegarden to work with Jack and Qsynth while running the AVLinux live dvd. I made notes of the settings and was able to repeat the process on another login. Something a bit confusing though is that the Qsynth midi/port number seems to change each time, is that normal? Trying to get it to work with Mint is still a no go. Qsynth and Jack become inoperable and then I have no sound at all ( I have installed a2jmidid, but can't run it, At least that's how it would seem, I think a2jmidid -e works) If I restart and don't touch them sound works again. I have done a whole bunch of things so I guess I'm going to have to go over everything again carefully. Thanks everyone for the help.
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Bryan88 wrote:Something a bit confusing though is that the Qsynth midi/port number seems to change each time, is that normal?
You can get round about this by telling QSynth to use JACK MIDI instead of ALSA MIDI in the "Setup" dialogue.
Bryan88
Established Member

Post by Bryan88 »

Will try that, thanks
Bryan88
Established Member

Post by Bryan88 »

Final update (hopefully), I managed to get Rosegarden to work with Timidity. I can't recall exactly, but you change a Timidity config file to use the sf2 soundfonts so you still get a passable set of sounds. Timidity also has a cool function that changes midis to wav files that can then be manipulated with Audacity and exported as mp3's. Thanks for everybody's help and patience.