non-sequencer

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

maestro_t
Established Member

non-sequencer

Post by maestro_t »

Hi guys,

I'm looking different midi sequencers (Linux) and have heard a lot of good things about non-sequencer.

I don't need the DAW or the mixer, just the sequencer. Has anyone been able to get this installed on a Raspberry/Banana PI? I know these aren't very powerful machines, but
I only want to use it for sequencing (an Akai Z4 controlled by an Akai MPD-32).

I'm also looking at harmonyseq, seq-24, and muse. Seq-24 is good (pattern based is something I want), but a bit too 'fiddly' to my liking. Very reminiscent or Pro-24, just not quite what I am looking for(maybe with a bit more use/familiarity). Muse is quite good as well, just a bit of overkill for what I want to do. I will beat out a sequence on the Z4, then sample the sequence. When I am done, I will record the sampled sequence into Audacity for polishing.

Thanks,

T
revtor
Established Member

Re: non-sequencer

Post by revtor »

T, I'm going to be trying to run NonSeq on the Pi as well and when I give it a go I'll let you know how it works. In the mean time I've been looking for info on this and all I could really come up with is this post from the Non Mail list archives which I"ve pasted below. If you haven't seen it, I hope it can give you some help/ideas!!!

good luck!
~Steve

//
////
///////--------- Copied from Non Mail list archives------------////////////

John and Non friends,

You asked me to send notes on loading Non on the PI for your docs. We're moving on from Raspbian, but not away from the PI. I'll have better docs for the distro we're getting up to speed now. I don't therefore have comprehensive notes worthy of a How To as I only loaded it once with Raspbian, but here is what I did:

First, as I said in another email to the list about what I needed on Debian, all of these dev packages are loadedt:
libsigc++-2.0-dev
liblrdf-dev
libsndfile-dev
liblo-dev
libjack-jackd2-dev
libjpeg8-dev
libcairo2-dev
libxft-dev
libfontconfig1-dev
libx11-dev
g++

I also needed the deb packages sndfile-programs, and vorbis-tools

Then, interestingly, a number of my audio apps I compiled from scratch couldn't find the headers with the debian package, but did find them if I compiled the libs from scratch.

For Non I only needed to compile lidrdf by hand, and note below I needed the --disable-sse flag, and then the link I had to create a link.

compile lidrdf
./waf configure --disable-sse
link librdf.so.0 liblrdf.so.2-
ln -s /usr/lib/liblrdf..so.0 /usr/lib/liblrdf.so.2

Then the normal waf method for Non worked and I can say I was able to record several tracks without a glitch.

Again, I'll have something better when we get our arm system pumping here, but honestly I almost wiped out the smart card with my notes tonight, so I thought I'd get this out before I lose them as it did get Non up on Raspbian.

Will

//////////-----------------------------------------------------////////////
/////
///
//
maestro_t
Established Member

Post by maestro_t »

revtor,

Thanks once again,

Will's notes appear to be a bit of an overkill for my purposes, but should still be helpful.

I look forward to an update about a working non-sequencer PI install. :D

T
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

maestro_t wrote:I'm also looking at harmonyseq, seq-24, and muse.
Back in the day when the Raspberry PI was new I did get MusE running on it.
It was very slow though.
I think it was mainly drawing of the gui that slowed things down so I should give it a new try now that there's some kind of X acceleration.

Regards,
Robert
MusE DAW
revtor
Established Member

Post by revtor »

I'm not too sure but perhaps setting up a "Linux From Scratch" type of OS for Non/RasPi would keep all available resources "on deck" for the Pi to run the program. Not that a MIDI sequencer is overly taxing, but it's an idea.. I'm toying with this dedicated system approach to try and run Renoise.

One area that I'm curious about, is how you plan on getting MIDI in/out of the pi? USB->MIDI? Or some sort of dedicated serial or I2C MIDI dongle?

Serial converter so RPi's serial rate of 38400 can then play with MIDI's 31500 spec. http://www.maxmidi.com/diy/serial/

I2C-> MIDI http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_iic_midi.html

~Steve
maestro_t
Established Member

Post by maestro_t »

Right now, I'm using a generic usb midi adapter (ebay). It works just fine so far. I can also use a usb audio adapter (M-audio audiophile usb). It has midi and everything is usable via the PI.

I also have a midi-sport 2 x 2 midi interface, but I can't get that to work - I think it needs too much power. I have even tried it via a powered hub.

Next, I'll try my emagic Unitor8. It still works under OSX and uses external power.

T
maestro_t
Established Member

Post by maestro_t »

spamatica wrote:
maestro_t wrote:I'm also looking at harmonyseq, seq-24, and muse.
Back in the day when the Raspberry PI was new I did get MusE running on it.
It was very slow though.
I think it was mainly drawing of the gui that slowed things down so I should give it a new try now that there's some kind of X acceleration.

Regards,
Robert
I have had MusE running on my PI B+. I quite like it, but it's still a bit much for my purposes - at this time.

T
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

maestro_t wrote:I also have a midi-sport 2 x 2 midi interface, but I can't get that to work - I think it needs too much power.
No, it needs the OS to load a firmware file into it everytime it powers up. The Win/Mac drivers do this automatically. There's no linux driver to do that. But ALSA includes the firmware file, and a utility (executable) to load it. You have to setup your system to run this utility every time you power up the Midisport. (I used to do that with a udev rule). If you use Debian, there used to be a package containing the utility, firmware, and udev script to make this all happen. Run Synaptic and search for midisport. Install that package. If using Ubuntu, forget it. The package is broken in Ubuntu. You'll have to download the utility (and firmware) from ALSA's site (alsa-firmware package), compile, and run the utility yourself. Once you do that, the alsa generic USB-MIDI driver supports the midisport.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

maestro_t
Established Member

Post by maestro_t »

Brilliant!!!!

I'll have a look into doing this over the weekend?

Do you know if the Unitor/AMT 8 is supported?

T