MPC like sequencer

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

maestro_t
Established Member

MPC like sequencer

Post by maestro_t »

I have an idea. A lot will say, "Why bother"? The answer will be because I'd like to try.

My idea, is to build a "poor mans" MPC from components I already have. This 'could' extend into a "work-station", but let's try one thing at a time.

Items I plan to use:

Akai MPD-32
Akai Z4
Small footprint computer (raspberry/bananna PI, Cubie truck??)

The plan is to combine the MPD32 (MPC pads, swing, note-repeat etc) with the Z4 (MPC sampling engine),
and computer (software sequencer). I realize I could just use a laptop etc, but I want to try to place everything into some form of 'container' for an all-in-one solution. And those small computers are so cheap, I could dedicate my PI to the project and use my main computer for the DAW. I may even try one of those small touch-screen TFTs with it.

Now, this is NOT meant to start any debates. Just to get some opinions/ideas as to how I can best achieve this.

So, for all you MPC dudes, what software midi sequencer is the closest to the MPC workflow? I have looked at Seq-24 as it's pattern based, but don't know how close it's working methods are to an MPC.

I have also looked at a piece of software called "Aksy". This is an open source solution to "replace" Ak.sys, as this doesn't work under modern operating systems and won't ever be updated. I haven't been able to get this to work - yet. But it's not a deal breaker. Just an "easier" way to upload into the sampler.

I only want to do this for my own enjoyment, so it's not something I'm looking to market or to improve my workflow. Just something I want to play with. Who knows?, it might come out as something quite fun to use. At this time, I don't want to run virtual instruments/FX. Mainly, external midi.

T
revtor
Established Member

Re: MPC like sequencer

Post by revtor »

JJ (Japanese Jenius) who developed the JJ OS for the MPC's has a Windows MIDI only sequencer "JJ Sequencer" It is very compact and runs really well. Very basic, but its almost a clone of the MPC sequencer.

One of my favorites before I wiped XP!

~Steve

(Yay first post!)

PS, my switch to Linux has been driven by my desire for a tight MIDI only graphical Sequencer, similar to why you're after. So Good luck!!! All these DAW's are just way more than I need. My goal is a Raspberry Pi dedicated Sequencer like Non seq.. We'll see how that goes.
maestro_t
Established Member

Post by maestro_t »

Hello revtor,

That was my first post as well. 8)

Thank you so much for replying. I will check out "JJ Sequencer", even though I really want a Linux sequencer - not windows (I have enough of those and this project is for a PI).

"My goal is a Raspberry Pi dedicated Sequencer like Non seq.."

That's also my goal. Have you been able to get Non-sequencer installed onto a Raspberry/Banana PI? I have both, but haven't been able to figure out how to get this software installed.

Thanks again,

T
revtor
Established Member

Post by revtor »

T, I have not been able to yet.

I just picked up my RPi yesterday and haven't got to even plug it in yet. I am waaaaaay away from my goal at this point!

Ill of course keep the forum up to date when I begin my journey.

~Steve
revtor
Established Member

Post by revtor »

Maestro, I was digging around recently and stumbled onto almost exactly what my end-game would be! Standalone dedicated MIDI seq hardware running some sort of GUI MIDI Sequencing software…..

http://rpc.gehennom.org/2013/06/rpc-architecture/

He uses an ATmega for all MIDI duties and the RasPi for UI. This makes a lot of sense to me, break the workload into the two main chunks.

I am waiting to hear back from him about what sequencing programs he has tried to actually run since there is no mention of that on his site. But from the hardware standpoint of getting MIDI in and out of the Pi which has been a stumbling block so far, this guy seems to have nailed it. I like the 1u rack form factor as well. One thing he mentions a few times is using a Akai MPD usb midi controller, - getting close to what you were looking for!

~Steve
maestro_t
Established Member

Post by maestro_t »

revtor,

I've been a bit busy with other things, so sorry for the late reply.

http://rpc.gehennom.org/2013/06/rpc-architecture/

This looks very promising. Although, he seems to have gone a lot further with it than I had even hoped to.

Ie. Instead of implementing a homebrew midi interface, I plan to use my midisport (still need to get firmware sorted) and/or the midi from my audiophile usb. I've been warned about the cheapo generic usb midi interfaces. Midi via the audiophile has been great so far. I don't have any linux librarians / editors to try the cheapo generics with.(Hint, hint, grovel) :mrgreen:
I've got quite a bit of old school pieces that I would love to dive deeper into.

Just like you, I like the 1u rack form factor as well. Although, I'm thinking maybe more units ( I'm hoping to accommodate Akai Z4, Yamaha MU100R, Alesis Quadraverb- for FX).
I'll start with the Z4, as my main idea is to emulate an MPC with the Z4 as the sampler and the MPD32 for the pads. The Z4 already has FX, so I could make do with that for now.

I think I'll hook up the MPD and Z4 with Seq-24 and have a poke about if I get home at a reasonable time this evening.

For anyone else out there following this thread, Akai made a brilliant piece of software called Ak.sys for interfacing with their usb samplers for uploading sounds etc. This was Windows / OSX only and won't work / be updated for the newer flavours. I have been attempting to get Aksy (python Ak.sys alternative) compiled with NO joy. If anyone could have go at this it would definitely help and be appreciated. That would tie my "MPC clone" up just nicely.

Please keep this good info coming??!!! 8)
maestro_t
Established Member

Post by maestro_t »

So,

I'd put this on hold for awhile - made a bit of music in between. 8)

After trying loads of different software, I've decided on Seq24. It's very simple, light-weight, pattern-based, etc. So far, it's been quite good working with my external midi kit.

Now, I just need my Akai sampler loading/editing software sorted. The only things I can find which supposedly work with the Z4/Z8 are:

Aksy - a Python based API to access and control Akai samplers through USB and
Freecycle - a beat slicer using the QT toolkit

I haven't been able to get either to compile so far. So I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck with either of these? It doesn't have to be on a Raspberry Pi (but that would be ideal) because I have built another computer and I am trying out AVLinux and Ubuntu Studio (no luck compiling there either).

Any/All help most appreciated.

T
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Guys, careful with the original Seq24, it's nice but unmaintained for years...

A quick search on github did bring some results though, it looks like the project is getting back to life:
https://github.com/ahlstromcj/sequencer24
https://github.com/ahlstromcj/sequencer64

Not tried personnally yet, but looks interesting ;-)
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

gimmeapill wrote:Guys, careful with the original Seq24, it's nice but unmaintained for years...
While you are right that it hasn't received much attention, why treat it so warily? If it works it doesn't need any updating... I understand bitrot, but I don't get why you'd just let projects die and stop using them just because they're old. The odds of finding a new maintainer for something that nobody uses isn't great. Sorry this is a bit of a rant, but that attitude frustrates me: I have to push commits to all of my projects every 6 months or else somehow they are dangerous to use...

That said, thats really great that somebody is working on it again. Thanks for the link.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Well, as a musician who still has ~15y of work stored on Buzz tracker and seen the rise and fall of multiple wannabe Buzz clones, I tend to be extremely wary before investing time and energy into a new sequencer. Given a long enough time it will get broken if not maintained.
But that probably wouldn't be as problematic for every piece of software - ex for plugins where the only actual user data are the presets and eventual recordings (unless maybe if they are used for live performance).
A sequencer is a different story, especially when you don't have much possibility to take the data out of it (at least at user level).
Seq24 was very promising in 2008, but has not seen a single release in about 5 years, and I don't think it was so perfect that not even a maintenance release was ever needed.
Last I remember it suffered from graphic performance issues, limited to 8 tracks, no full screen, no export. Just looking at the changelog of the revival projects shows that was indeed some serious "bitrot" there...
But enough talk, time to try this new version ;-)
Dasone77

Post by Dasone77 »

OMG where has this been all my life i have been perusing the internet for this very project i knew someone had to be working on it.
Looks like it went stagnant or possibly moved forums? can anyone provide an update? pics? anything that would help me continue my research
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

I guess ahlstromcj has other life things on at the moment. There have been recent but small commits. Shifting the toolkit to qt5 has been their most recent focus, that's fairly far on now.

For live and automation; syncing pattern state to hardware lights or other rack/patchbay control systems isn't there yet. If on the off chance there're any interested and available C++ programmers out there, see the issue midi control out :)

From the commits, it seems like a shift to seq66 might be coming, possibly maybe given the conflict with the slightly older seq64, "Sequenced music editor for first-party N64 games" - https://github.com/sauraen/seq64

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
ahlstromcj
Established Member

Post by ahlstromcj »

Still working on Seq66! Up to version 0.99.8 now, and I'm hard at work on version 0.99.9. 8) Still adding "small" new features, but it's basically complete. Of course, every time I crack open the debugger I find something new to fix.

https://github.com/ahlstromcj/seq66/