Linux Audio for Music teaching in Schools

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

JohannesTress
Established Member

Linux Audio for Music teaching in Schools

Post by JohannesTress »

Hello there,
I'm a german music teacher (Gymnasium/secondary schol) and I was asked if I'd like to write an article about linux in music classrooms in a german magazine specialized on using software (pc, tablet, smartphone etc.) for different purposes in musical education. I'm really commited to the whole open source idea and especially in the school or every public institution it should be obligate to use it.
But as I'm facing an apple dominated association (for their private habit and in school) I've to choose wisely what kind of software I present. For me it would be perfect if the readers, who are definetly not that much into Linux Audio or Linux at all (or even computers), get an idea what Linux Audio softare is capable of and how they could implement the software in their daily work without having to study computer science. The optimal effect would be if readers download KXStudio afer reading the articel try it out and decide, that it is worth to give it a try at school.

I know that zth already organized a music project for kids and I studied his blog for inspiration 'cause the purpose is similar.

The article should covering the following points, please check each point critically and comment:

1. Choosing a Distribution: I'm tending to KXStudio because of the included software and the live boot option. Many music classrooms won't have their own notebooks or pcs where the teacher can install whatever OS they want. So usb bootable systems on portable notebooks are a good (but not the longterm) solution.

2. Introduction of Jack: How does it work, what is it for and what are possible application ranges.

3. DAW: This point makes me stumble. I'd really like to present an all-in-one solution because of the complexity of session management, which is not very newbie-friendly. But it shouldn't be that complex. Muse and Rosegarden are looking very complex (or even overcharged) and that could be daunting for people who are working with Garageband and ruine the positive appeal. What do you think would be best here? Keep in mind that a normal lesson has 45 minutes and the 25-30 pupils should be !working! with the software as fast as possible. They should not spend their time trying to get it to work.

Another option would be to spotlight the modular approach and make the "understanding-how-a-real-studio-works" a learning target. But both approaches should be possible.

4. LMMS: I already did a workshop with students and I think LMMS is perfect for working with children, everything you need is included and it is even working on windows machines (most students have windows at home until they learn in school that linux is the better choice :-))

5. Musescore: There are already a lot of teachers who are using it and I think for our needs its just perfect.

6. other apps: Audacity, Ocenaudio, Stepsequencer, Giada looper, etc. do you have recomendations here?

7. other things I forgot and you think they should be mentioned to get an introduction into linux audio.

I'm convinced of all that stuff, but you are more experienced than me and I would be really glad if you could read over this and tell me if I made a mistake or forgot important infos here...

Thank you very much indeed!

Johannes
ssj71
Established Member

Re: Linux Audio for Music teaching in Schools

Post by ssj71 »

Sounds like a big opportunity to promote LA! Here are a few thoughts I had:
1. I would say that AV linux is also perfectly qualified, but I would just pick whichever you are most familiar with, don't list out too many options or it could overwhelm them.
2. definitely, I would mention in the JACK section the ability to use LA modularly just like a hardware studio can patch anything anywhere. I don't think I'd present this in the DAW section. Definitely send them to libremusicproduction.org to learn more.
3. DAW: I would present primarily LMMS because of its accessibility, but perhaps dedicate a paragraph and a photo to ardour to show that if students are serious about music production there is a variety of professional level options. Definitely send them to libremusicproduction.org to learn more.
4. I agree see 3.
5. Good idea.
6. I would be a little wary talking about anything thats not fully implemented (giada) or that doesn't really fit into the typical JACK workflow (audacity) for fear of giving them a difficult experience or presenting too many alternatives. Mention that many more applications are available and more are being developed each year though.
7. I'm not sure if its better to present a wide survey of software or a very few good workflows (i.e. 1 daw, 1 synth, 1 sampler). Naturally provide URLS of where they can learn/explore more options. You could peruse http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/start for other programs. Linthesia is a piano teaching program a bit like guitar hero. It could be worth mention, but I've never used it.
Perhaps you should mention a few example project ideas? i.e. students can make a podcast about a current issue or interesting topic. They could write/record a song about a book they are reading. They could measure an impulse response as a math/science project etc. They could record and look at the waveforms of various inputs to learn about sound waves.

I'm sure others could pitch in some great ideas.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
apathity
Established Member

Post by apathity »

Hm, just because jack is the underlying structure for everything, doesn't mean that you have to introduce it right away. Seasoned men have pulled their hair out in the jack connections window getting their instruments to work properly.

Please think about the alternative! Installing the Fruity Loops Demo on Windows and have access to a ton of stuff right away?

Is this just one article or is it a series?

IMHO a series or workshop structure would be better because then you can mention jack and session management in the first article with some geeky screenshots but delay its usage to the follow-up article and produce something usable first instead.

What's the fastest way to actually make music on Linux:

Boot into some live distro, this has always been a major advantage of Linux.

Connect your microphone so it can be recorded in Audacity.

Open Hydrogen by clicking on a shiny icon, and create some Hip-Hop beat, export it to some file.

Open Audacity (again with some shiny icon), import the beat and have something visible on the screen.

Add a track to sing or rap along (you mentioned being located in Germany so I know Hip-Hop and Rap is very popular there :)

Add some reverb to the beat and some funny voice effects in Audacity (delay etc.)

This could be done easily in a 45 minute lesson I guess. And the kids can upload it to Youtube right away or take it home and open the same files on their Windows box.

Then you'll want to add instruments and this is were it gets messy IMO.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

good points.

But I think then the best alternative is boot a live distro or install using wubi, install/open LMMS create.

1 program to start with.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
JohannesTress
Established Member

Post by JohannesTress »

Hello and thanks for your comments!

@ apathity
just because jack is the underlying structure for everything, doesn't mean that you have to introduce it right away
I don't meant to write in depth what jack is and how it can be used. But to be able to connect one app with a another (audio and midi) should even be mentioned in the article, shouldn't it?
Is this just one article or is it a series?
I'll consider this article as a starter and there'll follow others. But the magazine appears only once a year, so I can't write a set of constitutive workshop articles.
IMHO a series or workshop structure would be better because then you can mention jack and session management in the first article with some geeky screenshots but delay its usage to the follow-up article and produce something usable first instead.
Yes this would be great, but one year between every article is too long. But I think I follow your advice and don't go into working with session management and jack deeply.

@ss71
I never worked with AV Linux, but I'd like to give it a try. What's your advise for the most easiest distro to start with (including the shiny icons apathity mentioned)?
Thank you for your ideas on point 6 to reduce the software mentioned in the article. I agree that too much stuff will not be very usefull.

So for now there is:

1. KXStudio or AV Linux
2. LMMS
3. Sampler (QSampler?)
4. Audacity (It's important to show a software, that handles recorded stuff, creating soundscapes or Hörspiele (kind of abstract audio plays) and working with different audio tracks)
5. Musescore
6. Eventually educational apps like Linthesia, Gnu Solfege, ?

Thanks indeed.

Johannes
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

JohannesTress wrote: 3. Sampler (QSampler?)

There are many samplers, and you have to distinguish between engines and frontends:

- fluidsynth is an engine to play sf2-soundfonts. Qsynth is a frontend with built-in fluidsynth engine
- linuxsampler is an engine to play sf2-, gig- and sfz-soundfonts. Qsampler and Jsampler are frontends who communicate with the engine
- samplv1 is an all-in-one sampler with frontend: http://samplv1.sourceforge.net/samplv1-index.html

Samplv1 might be one of the best choices for educational purposes because it's simple:
- record some stuff with Audacity
- load it in samplv1

So your students get a feeling about creating sounds and using samplers.

EDIT:
drumkv1 is even simpler. Your students could record drums and other sounds with Audacity and use these instruments to build a drumkit in drumkv1.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

durfnap
Established Member

Post by durfnap »

Hallo Johannes,
In general you should think about the interface language of a software if you want to use it in a german school environment.
Not every (linux) media production software is available with an interface translated into german.
From my own experience with AVLinux -wich I would advice for the live use- I know that most of the applications are custom built with localepurge.
So only english interfaces for those packages.
As I know from my own work at school it's sometimes not easy to get acceptance from teenagers for Linux Software wich is "not even in german"...
Beste Grüsse
JohannesTress
Established Member

Post by JohannesTress »

@ durfnap
I read in the remastersys Forum that you wrote a bachelor thesis 'bout avlinux. Are you willing to share your work?
The other question I have considering the language aspect: Is there a german translation of the av linux manual out there?
I found only dead links (av-linux.de).

Thanks indeed!
funkster1
Established Member

Post by funkster1 »

Hi Johannes, I'm a big fan of AV Linux as well, and IIRC, after installing the german language packs most of the stuff was available in german then. I can't say for the latest AV Linux, but I had been following Glen's adventures from AVL 2 on or so. It's easier and lighter on ressources than KDE/KX Studio (even though that also runs very well in terms of speed here on my laptop). And maybe be it would be easier, or at least more consistent over different distros to use the "classic" jack/qjackctl combo instead of Cadence/Catia (they're still great tools with a lot of commitment from falkTX).

Cheers,

Raphael
"A mind is like a parachute -
It doesn't work if it's not open."

|- - - - - - Frank Zappa - - - - - -|
JohannesTress
Established Member

Post by JohannesTress »

funkster1 wrote:Hi Johannes, I'm a big fan of AV Linux as well, and IIRC, after installing the german language packs most of the stuff was available in german then.
Hey funkster1, can you tell me the fastest way to install german language packs on av linux. Is this possible for a live-usb version?
Thanks indeed
funkster1
Established Member

Post by funkster1 »

Johannes, not sure how or if it works on a live-USB system. I did it on full install. Maybe with a persistent install it'll work. You would need 2 partitions on the USB-stick. The first one called "data-rw" IIRC.
Have a look on the AV Linux forums. Glen and other members are really very responsive. From synaptic just install all the needed "locale" packages.
"A mind is like a parachute -
It doesn't work if it's not open."

|- - - - - - Frank Zappa - - - - - -|
durfnap
Established Member

Post by durfnap »

Hi Johannes,
wrote a PM.