[solved] Changing the Sample Rate in Ardour?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

baconature
Established Member

[solved] Changing the Sample Rate in Ardour?

Post by baconature »

I have made a couple of recordings through Ardour now. Today when trying to open one of those sessions, I get a message pop-up when opening
This session was created with a sample rate of 44100 Hz, but Ardour is currently running at 48000 Hz. If you load this session, audio may be played at the wrong sample rate.
How does one change the sample rate in Ardour? In looking I find nothing for changing sample rate. I have Jack set at 44100 Hz but opening Ardour doesn't adjust to it. Nor have I changed the sample rate in Ardour before or after making this recording.
Last edited by baconature on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
varpa
Established Member

Re: Changing the Sample Rate in Ardour?

Post by varpa »

When you create an Ardour session it locks in the sample rate used by Jack at the time. So I would suggest stopping Jack and restarting Jack at 44.1 kHz. As far as know you cannot change the sample rate of an Ardour session once it is created (short of creating an entirely new session with the new sample rate).
baconature
Established Member

Re: Changing the Sample Rate in Ardour?

Post by baconature »

I am convinced now that you are correct. This issue is caused by my inadequate sound-card. I had tried to set the sample rate to 44100 Hz in jack, actually I did, but the sound card won't permit that so jack by default sets the sample rate back to 48000 Hz. This situation occurred by using a USB device, where as this device had no problem with the 44100 Hz sample rate that was still set in jack. When I had attempted to review these recordings without the USB device, jack again reverted to the default, which didn't allow Ardour to then switch back to the 44100 Hz sample rate, causing the popup warning. I just figured this out today, and thought I'd explain it.

One day I may figure all this stuff out. On another day I may be able to afford the purchase of Linux supported hardware, but until then...

Thanks
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
0cean

Re: [solved] Changing the Sample Rate in Ardour?

Post by 0cean »

When you create an Ardour session it locks in the sample rate used by Jack at the time. So I would suggest stopping Jack and restarting Jack at 44.1 kHz. As far as know you cannot change the sample rate of an Ardour session once it is created (short of creating an entirely new session with the new sample rate).
None of that works, I downloaded Ardour 6.6 the paid version a month ago, So far I have only heard it playback one song, one time in 30 days and it has never played anything since that one time. It has no sound, no volume, nothing. There is no way to change the sample rate unless you uninstall Ardour, uninstall Jack, Time-shift Linux back to last year, then start trying to put it all back together. I am not convinced that Ardour does ANYTHING at all muss-less record a session. I think the videos are fake, people pretending that Ardour works and such. I have never seen or heard anything ever recorded with Ardour. Know-one at the local music store has ever heard of Ardour. If it's going to take several more months of watching videos, reading forums, posts, research and help menus galore to get Ardour to work, I'd rather just delete it now, take it as a lesson learned, and go on with my life. At 60 years old I don't have that many years left, and I certainly don't want to spend them trying to get Ardour to work.

1. Download, 2. Install, then 3. start recording. That's how most other recording software works...
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I had to smile at your rant, because I used to feel the same way. That would be quite a conspiracy to pull off!

For some reason I never could get JACK running on my internal sound cards. I tried periodically for years. And then one day it worked. It was like the bosses decided to finally let me in on the conspiracy. It felt like a miracle.

Please don't give up. This software really works. I used Ardour 6 this afternoon for a few hours. Honest!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

0cean wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:59 am...
1. Download, 2. Install, then 3. start recording. That's how most other recording software works...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I've never seen any multitrack recording software that "just works". You always need to set your sample rate, connect your sound card inputs to the channels you want them on, record arm, press record, at least. Sometimes your sound card doesn't play nice with your operating system, or you didn't set decent levels to its inputs, or whatever.
If you want to start simple, forget JACK and set Ardour to use ALSA; one less layer of confusion.
I've found Ardour or Mixbus easier to use than some expensive commercial DAWs like ProTools. It's still very advanced, complicated software which takes time to master. I you want help actually getting it to work rather than ranting, start your own thread and detail what issues you are having.