Are there happy Linux Reaper users?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Re: Are there happy Linux Reaper users?

Post by AnthonyCFox »

PatS wrote:OK, thanks a lot!
I'm tempted to try it on Arch (which I used for a while some time ago) but I guess I'll stick with KX for now.
Yeah. I wouldn't recommend Arch to anyone, mostly because the forums have become just awful. I'm a returning Arch user, and I wish I would have settled on Debian unstable instead, but a real-time kernel in the AUR lured me away. I could have compiled my own kernel, I'm sure. Now I kick myself for not doing it. :?
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
dsreyes1014
Established Member

Post by dsreyes1014 »

Yeah. I wouldn't recommend Arch to anyone, mostly because the forums have become just awful. I'm a returning Arch user, and I wish I would have settled on Debian unstable instead, but a real-time kernel in the AUR lured me away. I could have compiled my own kernel, I'm sure. Now I kick myself for not doing it. :?
Love Arch but they do say it's for the hardcore linux users. Ran away from Mint as soon I learned how Arch works and I'll never look back. Every solution to the issues I had so far were easily found using google.

But onto Reaper. I tried it (first time looking for/using a sequencer by the way) and it seems nice to use. I started out looking for what was recommended so I started using Non-Sequencer. Kind of buggy but simple and getting easier to use. Compared to Reaper it's lightweight but I think that's the point with Non-Sequencer. Reaper is a full DAW with sequencer capabilities it seems but for live use not sure how stable it will be as that's where I'm headed with finding a sequencer to use.

AnthonyCFox have you used it live?
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

dsreyes1014 wrote:AnthonyCFox have you used it live?
No, I've only been using Reaper for about two weeks. Check the Reaper forum http://forum.cockos.com/ I saw a thread on that topic, but it's not something I'm into, so I didn't look into what they were saying about it.

It has crashed on me once, I forget exactly why, but it was from messing with a plugin in a way you wouldn't do in a live situation. I think I was running more plugins, especially samplers, than my system can handle. I might have to render some of the synth/sampler tracks before I record any guitar, but so far it hasn't come to that. :D
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

PatS:

To upgrade Reaper under KX, uninstall its package then install a newer version as you would a regular Windows/wine app by running its installer.

Yes, I think it is best you run REAPER x64 if you are running 64bit Linux and don't need any 32bit only plugins.

Anthony:

I'd recommend Debian Testing (Jessie) over sid/unstable. Testing is almost as up-to-date as sid but more stable and with much less chance of you running into upgrade and packaging probems vs sid and MUCH less chance of the same happening under Arch!

I quite like Arch but I've had nasty breakage happen during an upgrade too often so I don't bother with it much. Its nowhere near as dependable as Deb.
dsreyes1014
Established Member

Post by dsreyes1014 »

I quite like Arch but I've had nasty breakage happen during an upgrade too often so I don't bother with it much. Its nowhere near as dependable as Deb.
I've actually had the same happen to me using Crunchbang which is debian-based. I guess it can happen on any system I suppose.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Of course update problems can happen with any distro, its just some upgrade more reliably than others.

Ati & Nvidia users who use the non-free drivers are more likely to run into upgrade probs than Intel or FLOSS xorg driver users, as a general rule. AMD and NV don't always stay current with the latest kernels, unfortunately, whilst new Intel hardware is usually supported (in the kernel + xorg) before the hardware gets released.
PatS
Established Member

Post by PatS »

danboid wrote:PatS:

To upgrade Reaper under KX, uninstall its package then install a newer version as you would a regular Windows/wine app by running its installer.

Yes, I think it is best you run REAPER x64 if you are running 64bit Linux and don't need any 32bit only plugins.
I just found that Reaper gets updated through the package management. I kind of hoped it would. Lovely! That encourages me to keep using it rather than installing the x64 version. But I'll probably try your recommendation (replacing x86 with x64) anyway.
PatS
Established Member

Post by PatS »

Two minor issues here with Reaper in KXStudio.

- Every time I open a project file I have to navigate my way down doubleclicking from / to the desired folder. There's no '..' or 'level up' button in that selection box either. It does remeber the last opened file but there's no way to navigate up again from there. Am I missing something?

- Sorry to ask this again in this thread but is there a way to get a more readable font for Reaper's timeline?

Nothing dramatic but it spoils the fun a little in an otherwise great experience.
I thought I'd keep using this thread for such questions as they're not really related to KXStudio but to Wine.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

PatS wrote:Two minor issues here with Reaper in KXStudio.

- Every time I open a project file I have to navigate my way down doubleclicking from / to the desired folder. There's no '..' or 'level up' button in that selection box either. It does remeber the last opened file but there's no way to navigate up again from there. Am I missing something?
I'm not quite through switching distros and don't have Reaper installed yet, but isn't there a dropdown box where is shows the directory name and will let you jump to other folders? The .wine directory can be a hassle to navigate because of the complexity. I'm planning on utilizing symlinks heavily to simplify navigation, probably in the Favorites folder since that usually seems easily accessible.
PatS wrote:- Sorry to ask this again in this thread but is there a way to get a more readable font for Reaper's timeline?

Nothing dramatic but it spoils the fun a little in an otherwise great experience.
I'm pretty sure Wine uses your systems fonts, do you have Microsoft's Truetype fonts installed? That seems to be recommended.
PatS wrote:I thought I'd keep using this thread for such questions as they're not really related to KXStudio but to Wine.
Too bad there isn't a Wine sub-forum, huh?

But, that might attract people who care more about making music than they care about FLOSS, and that would be bad.

Somehow.

I guess...?

:?
PatS
Established Member

Post by PatS »

AnthonyCFox wrote: ... isn't there a dropdown box where is shows the directory name and will let you jump to other folders? The .wine directory can be a hassle to navigate because of the complexity. I'm planning on utilizing symlinks heavily to simplify navigation, probably in the Favorites folder since that usually seems easily accessible.
There's the directory tree on the left but even using that requires constant doubleclicking and moving down from / every time. Symlinks in 'Favorites' sounds good. How do I put something there?
AnthonyCFox wrote: I'm pretty sure Wine uses your systems fonts, do you have Microsoft's Truetype fonts installed? That seems to be recommended.
Yep, I installed 'msttcorefonts' resulting in 'ttf-mscorefonts-installer'. I even copied things from /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/ to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts/
But no change to Reaper's timeline font.
AnthonyCFox wrote: Too bad there isn't a Wine sub-forum, huh?

But, that might attract people who care more about making music than they care about FLOSS, and that would be bad.

Somehow.

I guess...?

:?

Don't remind me of the subject :?
I've been in inner conflict about this since I joined here. And running a windows prog inside a Linux system is an expression of that. But Reaper with its fantastic UI, on the one side, and the great KXStudio on the other, make it worth the trouble, I think.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

PatS wrote:Symlinks in 'Favorites' sounds good. How do I put something there?
Assuming your file manager is Dolphin, since you say you're using KxStudio, navigate to the directory you want the symlinked folder or file in; right click>Create New>Basic link to file or directory.

PatS wrote:Yep, I installed 'msttcorefonts' resulting in 'ttf-mscorefonts-installer'. I even copied things from /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/ to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts/
But no change to Reaper's timeline font.
I don't know what to say. Does what you see match with screenshots of Reaper? That would at least give an idea if the problem is with Reaper or not.
PatS wrote:Don't remind me of the subject :?
I've been in inner conflict about this since I joined here. And running a windows prog inside a Linux system is an expression of that. But Reaper with its fantastic UI, on the one side, and the great KXStudio on the other, make it worth the trouble, I think.
I don't have conflicts about it anymore. Music is timeless and eternal. Software? It's really cool. :lol:
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

AnthonyCFox wrote:... Music is timeless and eternal. Software? It's really cool.
Yep. My apps panel in Ubuntu 12.04 (KXStudiofied) includes AVSynthesis, CsoundQt, SuperCollider3, Pd-extended, GRACE/CM, OpenMusic6, M/pc, Sequencer Plus Gold, Festige, Ardour3, MixBus, four native Linux synths, JACK-Rack, a CALF reverb, and a soundfile editor. That list includes one proprietary app, one app running in DOSemu, and another in DOSbox. Festige of course is a Wine-dependent system. OS parochiality doesn't get the job done here.

Not on the panel yet but soon will be: Frescobaldi/LilyPond.

I'm quite aware of the shortfalls of the Linux audio software stack, but for my purposes I'm living like a hog in the fat house.

"If music be the food of love, play on !"

Best,

dp
PatS
Established Member

Post by PatS »

AnthonyCFox wrote: Assuming your file manager is Dolphin, since you say you're using KxStudio, navigate to the directory you want the symlinked folder or file in; right click>Create New>Basic link to file or directory.
But how do I make those symlinks appear in 'Favorites' in the 'open project' dialog box?
AnthonyCFox wrote: I don't know what to say. Does what you see match with screenshots of Reaper? That would at least give an idea if the problem is with Reaper or not.
When I run Reaper in Windows that font is just fine. When in Wine that font is small and ugly, though still readable.

As I was saying, it's minor stuff.
But thanks a lot for helping.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

PatS wrote:
AnthonyCFox wrote: Assuming your file manager is Dolphin, since you say you're using KxStudio, navigate to the directory you want the symlinked folder or file in; right click>Create New>Basic link to file or directory.
But how do I make those symlinks appear in 'Favorites' in the 'open project' dialog box?
If you create a symlink in Favorites, the linked file or folder will appear to be in Favorites, along with where it actually is.

Here's a video that shows another, and perhaps easier, way to do it than I described http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSzO_mFToqs
PatS
Established Member

Post by PatS »

AnthonyCFox wrote: If you create a symlink in Favorites, the linked file or folder will appear to be in Favorites, along with where it actually is.
Reaper's "open project" dialog box shows me the folder "Favorites" but I don't know what location in the file system that refers to.
But it just dawned on me that all I have to do is put those symlinks in my home folder! "My Documents" in the dialog box links to there. Sorry in case we were talking at cross-purposes. That "Favorites" thing mislead me.