Toggle Record Enable in ardour3 with Axiom 69

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

angus.hendrick
Established Member

Toggle Record Enable in ardour3 with Axiom 69

Post by angus.hendrick »

I've written a MIDI-map for my Axiom 69 (version 2) using the instructions in the Ardour 3 manual. Everything works great, except that I cannot figure out how to get the record function to toggle back and forth between "rec-enable" and "rec-disable" when I press the record transport button on the Axiom 69. I noted that in the MIDI-map provided for the Axiom 25, the toggle behavior appears to be specified by assigning both functions to the same controller:

Code: Select all

<Binding channel="1" ctl="25" function="rec-enable"/>
<Binding channel="1" ctl="25" function="rec-disable"/>
I tried this approach for my MIDI-map (using "ctl=118", which is what the Axiom 69 sends) and it seemed to be working, but then I closed my project and started a new one, and it stopped working. Instead, it only performed the "rec-disable" function. Removing the second line of this pair results (as expected) in the key only performing the enable function. It's not difficult to program rec-disable to some other key, but this seems like such a basic behavior, that I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, especially given my intermittent success.

I tried both "Trigger Value" and "Toggle Value" configurations for this button as described at the beginning of Chapter 5 of the Axiom 69 version 2 user manual. Using gmidimon, I verified that the hardware was behaving as expected in each mode, but Ardour 3 did not toggle the master record status when the record transport button was repeatedly depressed for either hardware configuration.

I note that the track "recenable" functions behave differently. I am able to get them to toggle using the F10-F18 set of buttons under the faders by using a single line for each such as:

<Binding channel="16" pgm="0" uri="/route/recenable 1"/>
I also messed around with approaches where I programmed the Axiom 69 record transport button to send program change messages (i.e., setting the channel to 145, and specifying the program data value as 9). Using commands like the above, for example:

<Binding channel="16" pgm="9" function="rec-enable"/>
(aside: I remapped all the control functions to channel 16 on the Axiom 69 to make it easy to have MIDI instruments ignore them) work in approximately the same fashion as the attempts I made before. That is, I can either get it to set "rec-enable" or to set "rec-disable" but not to toggle between them.

Any help getting the desired toggle behavior to work with this equipment/software is much appreciated. I can post gmidimon messages if that would help.
tripomatic
Established Member

Re: Toggle Record Enable in ardour3 with Axiom 69

Post by tripomatic »

ask on ardour forum? Maybe Paul can help, or irc ardour channel.

Could you share the axiom midi map?
Got also axiom 69, i'll try if it's the same problem.
mclarenffive

Re: Toggle Record Enable in ardour3 with Axiom 69

Post by mclarenffive »

approximately the same fashion as the attempts I made before what does it mean?
Our excellent online learnalanguage - learn latin training programs lead you to learnalanguage - learn greek success in the We also offer latest and E-spanyol with 100% success Internet polyglot