recording to a drumloop

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

oNNogitaar
Established Member

recording to a drumloop

Post by oNNogitaar »

i am trying to record to a drumloop from hydrogen, the drums should not be on the recording.
So far i managed to make the drums play back with what i previously recorded so it kinda works.
But, if i move the play head it jumps/springs back...
Any ideas on how i could navigate freely and have the drums while recording?
Thank you!
Pablo
Established Member

Re: recording to a drumloop

Post by Pablo »

How are you trying to record from hydrogen? Ardour? Something else?
oNNogitaar
Established Member

Post by oNNogitaar »

Hi Pablo,
thanks for the reply!
Yes in Ardour2.
The drumloop from Hydrogen is only a clicktrack.deluxe :) and it will not be on the recording...
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

In ardour2, you will see three options for transport synchronization: Internal, MTC and JACK (right to the secondary clock, above Master button). I guess you selected JACK so hydrogen and ardour are in sync. Is Master button on? Try turning ir off.

You can also record the click track from hydrogen to ardour. Then close hydrogen, use the internal transport and mute/unmute the click track as you wish.

By the way, gtklick is a simple metronome, ideal for practicing.
oNNogitaar
Established Member

Post by oNNogitaar »

hi Pablo, thanks for the reply!
I am not sure what time master does.
From what i found it seems it makes Ardour "boss of the metrum" which is what i want (i think)
Anyway, Master button is on, if i deselect it, i can navigate through the sequence freely but the drums are 3 bars behind...
So i ended up selecting and deselecting time master...
Pablo wrote:You can also record the click track from hydrogen to ardour. Then close hydrogen, use the internal transport and mute/unmute the click track as you wish.
that would be an option
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

I am not sure what time master does.
From what i found it seems it makes Ardour "boss of the metrum" which is what i want (i think)
I would expect the same as you but it seems to work the other way around :)
if i deselect it, i can navigate through the sequence freely but the drums are 3 bars behind...
So i ended up selecting and deselecting time master...
When you try to synchronise two apps via jack transport sometimes weird things happen.

Maybe you already know this, but note that in hydrogen there are two playback modes. Pattern mode plays the selected pattern in a loop. Song mode plays the patterns in the sequence that you define in the song editor. That could make a difference.

Yes, on the one hand, it is cleaner having the drums recorded in ardour, but on the other hand you lose the flexibility of hydrogen to change something in the drum track. Little by little you will discover the workflow that suits you better :)
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

I have found hydrogen can get sulky when used with ardour if you click play in hydrogen rather than ardour.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

oNNogitaar wrote: Yes in Ardour2.
I'm pretty sure there's a bug in ardour2 that locks the playhead when you set ardour2 as the time master because I've had that problem on every machine&install I've ever used. At the same time, if you're recording into ardour you absolutely need to set it as the time master or else as englishguy said there will be noticable drift. What I do is set ardour as the time master and deselect time master whenever I want to move the playhead around (I think you said this already) and I haven't found any better solution yet. Maybe you should try Ardour3, from what I've experienced so far it doesn't have that problem.
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

You could also run another app (like Qtractor) as time master.

Ardour 3 doesn't have this problem.
oNNogitaar
Established Member

Post by oNNogitaar »

tatch wrote:What I do is set ardour as the time master and deselect time master whenever I want to move the playhead around (I think you said this already)
yes, that is what i did too. It works, i just thought i did something wrong :)
Thank you all!