midi low-level tuning like dumping messages etc?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Гага́рин
Established Member

midi low-level tuning like dumping messages etc?

Post by Гага́рин »

hi,

I got a used cotroller and qmidiport shows one key not responding properly in one of them. Actually throws a sound randomly.

Are there any programs that log with precision or probe ANY midi hardware?

I want to fully log of ALL parameters of each midi signal. Does something like xev exist for midi signals?

thnks
raboof
Established Member

Re: midi low-level tuning like dumping messages etc?

Post by raboof »

Гага́рин wrote:Are there any programs that log with precision or probe ANY midi hardware?

I want to fully log of ALL parameters of each midi signal. Does something like xev exist for midi signals?
'kmidimon' might be useful to you (though I've seen it misbehave when you throw many (thousands) of events at it)
gazpacho
Established Member

Post by gazpacho »

To debug and analize midi data in real time I use several methods.
To read midi data coming from somewhere:
Method 1
In a terminal type:

Code: Select all

amidi -p virtual -d 
Now you will see a receiving client "Virtual raw midi" port in patchage or aconnectgui or catia or whatever you use to connect midi. Connect midi to that client and you will see HEX messages in the terminal. You can copy text from the terminal to save it.
Method 2
Use gmidimonitor as client and see note and control messages in clear language and sysex as HEX. Good but cannot copy the messages to save them.
Method 3
Use qmidiroute as client and wattch the event log window. You get messages in clear language and can select and copy messages to save them.
Method 4
Use midisnoop, permits listening to midi messages in clear language and sending messages as HEX, good to send a message and see the reply. The configure button takes care of connections or you can do it as usual with patchage or catia. Can copy messages from each "cell". Choose "virtual port" as output port and freely connect it with patchage or catia to wherever you want to send a message. Needs jack connection kit as driver. Dont miss this:
http://surfacepatterns.blogspot.com.au/ ... /midisnoop

To generate and send data to a midi something I use vmpk, or midisnoop; amidi can only send raw midi which doesn't work if you use alsa seq. I yet dont know of a way to send HEX to a midi device from the command line directly, so I put it inside a midi "file.mid" and send it with aplaymidi (use "midi through input" and connect "midi through output" in patchage or carla to where ever you need).
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

the program jack_midi_dump is installed with jack and just puts all midi message to you console, once you connect the jack port.
Samjose23

Post by Samjose23 »

This is interesting...
Josepha