Poll - What recorder and/or sequencer do you primarily use?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

What recorder and/or sequencer do you primarily use?

Ardour
42%
LMMS
3%
Non-Daw
3%
Non-Sequencer
5%
OOMIDI/OOM
2%
qtractor
20%
Rosegarden
6%
Traverso
No votes
Jokosher
No votes
Something else (please mention!)
19%

Total votes: 64

karm
Established Member

Re: Poll - What recorder and/or sequencer do you primarily u

Post by karm »

jeffh wrote:
karm wrote:Oh it's the Ego problem again...
Yes, it's "ego"... and a "problem"... I should just be doing whatever everybody else thinks I should be doing... For their collective benefit, of course...

Rather than taking the conversation on a turn towards "humble men always demand humility in others", or discussing your accomplishments and contributions to Linux audio (or lack thereof), the value of an armchair quarterback's opinion, etc... I'm going to take the high road and do something very constructive...

Remember, when I had my big feigned outrage and "quit" Linux audio? A careful examination of my Git repository reveals that I never stopped working on my project. In fact, forks of Qtractor, Muse2 and Seq24 made brief cameo appearances in my Git immediately after... Sadly, after a month of trying to fix them, I decided it would be best just to start from scratch with my own DAW, a decision that I'm glad I made... One could draw the conclusion from my Git logs that this was entirely premeditated back to before I let my feelings about the other developers be known... Thankfully I'm my own man and don't feel the need to win any popularity contests, it's helped me accomplish a lot in life :lol:
Ok, posting such a comment wasn't constructive at all. I wrote a few words for you in another thread (people show their true colors under pressure). I think you can do whatever you want while not being an asshole. Actually I don't remember your "quit", it is not my occupation nor hobby to watch the community here.

I think it's ok to do whatever you want to do, to disagree with others, to discuss, to cooperate and not to cooperate. But calling other people "noobs" just because they don't agree with you or are not interested in your software is harsh... and just wrong. You keep doing this, that's why I call it a "problem". Try to understand it, I don't imply your independence is a problem. Your attitude towards other people is a problem.
Only birds fly first class
Archlinux on desktop pc.
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

karm wrote:Ok, posting such a comment wasn't constructive at all. I wrote a few words for you in another thread (people show their true colors under pressure). I think you can do whatever you want while not being an asshole. Actually I don't remember your "quit", it is not my occupation nor hobby to watch the community here.
Obviously your comments in this thread have been the epitome of "constructive" :lol:

Maybe we should start discussing your life's work...
karm wrote:I think it's ok to do whatever you want to do, to disagree with others, to discuss, to cooperate and not to cooperate.
Obviously not.
karm wrote:But calling other people "noobs" just because they don't agree with you or are not interested in your software is harsh... and just wrong.
Really? Is that why I did it? Not because he's being a cry-baby about me not agreeing with him and taking my project in the direction that HE thinks I should take it in?
karm wrote:You keep doing this, that's why I call it a "problem". Try to understand it, I don't imply your independence is a problem. Your attitude towards other people is a problem.
Right... How about I'll keep doing things my way, you keep doing things your way, then we'll reconvene in 10 years and see where each other made it to in life? If people don't like the possibility of getting their feelings hurt by people they've never met, they should stay the hell off of the internet, period. There's an "ignore user" function on this forum, anybody and everybody can feel free to use it...
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

If I where a Dev who is trying to proof he's "the best" I would spend all my time available in coding. This would give me a big advantge over all those who are waisting their time discussing useless things.

So what if the guy has a dirty caracter? code and let code.
Do yourselfs a favor and ignore one the other. your codes will apreciate
karm
Established Member

Post by karm »

Obviously your comments in this thread have been the epitome of "constructive"
I can admit when I'm wrong. Can you? Also, is it possible for you to treat another human being with a little dose of respect? For example, are you able to avoid sarcasm? Have you ever been polite to somebody who thinks different than you, I wonder.
Obviously not.
Now that's controversial. It's not ok to do whatever I want to do? You are the one who keeps on telling how your independence made you successful in life...
Really? Is that why I did it? Not because he's being a cry-baby about me not agreeing with him and taking my project in the direction that HE thinks I should take it in?
Why you care what he thinks when you consider him a "noob"? Can't you just move along ignoring his "crying"? Also, how his "crying" affects your motivation? What you gain by publicly insulting him?
Right... How about I'll keep doing things my way, you keep doing things your way, then we'll reconvene in 10 years and see where each other made it to in life?
Sure, why not. Fine with me.
If people don't like the possibility of getting their feelings hurt by people they've never met, they should stay the hell off of the internet, period. There's an "ignore user" function on this forum, anybody and everybody can feel free to use it...
So, the internet is a place where one is allowed to throw shit at others and whoever thinks different is mistaken. Bravo... I thought the Internet is a new medium for communication. Maybe I missed something in the meantime...
Archlinux on desktop pc.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

ohhh, one more:

I never (buy a) fight on the internet because I can't punch the other in the face when he deserves it; those who like to fight on the internet obviously do that for exactly the same reason, just the other way around :lol:
karm
Established Member

Post by karm »

Capoeira wrote:ohhh, one more:

I never (buy a) fight on the internet because I can't punch the other in the face when he deserves it; those who like to fight on the internet obviously do that for exactly the same reason, just the other way around :lol:
Heheh, I think it's time to pass. Thanks ;)
Archlinux on desktop pc.
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

Capoeira wrote:ohhh, one more:

Well, we can't all be UFC fighters like you Brazilians :lol:

Although in all fairness to me, I'm also like this in person... I've even been called "The White Anderson Silva" before :lol:
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

this was my important post: :wink:
Capoeira wrote:If I where a Dev who is trying to proof he's "the best" I would spend all my time available in coding. This would give me a big advantge over all those who are waisting their time discussing useless things.

So what if the guy has a dirty caracter? code and let code.
Do yourselfs a favor and ignore one the other. your codes will apreciate
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Hi, jeffh. I am in total support of PyDAW and all of your knowledge of DSP and plugins that you are making.

Can I make a suggestion? You might want to not let your discussions distract you. If you have e-mail notifications for monitoring the thread, you might want to turn it off and concentrate in your work. In my opinion, I don't think you have an attitude problem like the others who think you have. I think you are doing your best for standing up for yourself and I'm all in for that. Keep at it.

As for the rest of you, let's try and refrain from going off-topic. Even though I'm not a moderator, I'll try to do my part to keep the thread as civil as possible.

Anyway jeffh, keep up your good work. I will try it out PyDAW but I'm wondering about how to get PyDAW installed. I saw your PyDAW thread in the news section of the forum. I'll have a look as soon as I finish typing my post.

----------------------------------------------

Anyway, for DAW/sequencers, I use MusE for MIDI sequencing, as I found Ardour 3 Beta 5 to be unstable for MIDI work (I press keys in the piano roll multiple times and Ardour 3 froze up with a stuck MIDI note on). I use ZynAddSubFX for synthesis since zynaddsubfx-dssi (I tried it in Rosegarden) seems to be transposed two centimeters when playing MIDI notes. I use Hydrogen for drum sequencing and creating my own drum kit, and last but not least, I use Ardour for recording musical instruments from ZynAddSubFX and Hydrogen for drums.

So, it's MIDI first, then audio. I don't record lyrics as it's all instrumental. It's basically new age with a music of Yanni (In Celebration of Life and Reflections of Passion). As for ZynAddSubFX, my instruments that I created seem to be CPU-intensive, so I do tend to play some of the instruments at a time until I get to Ardour, where I record one instrument at a time. As for Hydrogen, I can record all the drums into multiple tracks at once.

Previously in Windows, I used to have a Yamaha XG S-YXG50 (Yamaha XG synthesizer) along with XGWorks (basic MIDI/Audio workstation), then I switched to Cubase SX during 2004 but lost/broke my dongle after a few months of purchase and did not have a prosumer-level ASIO-capable sound card and I did not realize that Cubase requires a dongle in order for the license to be validated. I was doing this for my laptop. During 2008, I installed Ubuntu 8.04 alongside Windows Vista and by August of 2012, I stepped away from Windows while keeping Windows in a laptop, and by late October once I assembled my new custom-built computer, I put in KXStudio 12.04 and did not care to buy Windows as they are a bit too expensive for me.

I will never look back at Windows as I'm watching out for the latest development of Steam for my interest in gaming in Linux. And I will never miss Steinburg due to my costly mistake of losing or breaking my dongle for my previously-owned 2002 laptop (Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301).

In case anyone is interested about what desktop I have:
  • Nexus Prominent R
  • Gigabyte AMD FM2 A75 ATX motherboard
  • AMD A10-5700
  • 8GB of DDR3 1866 RAM (GPU is sensitive to RAM speed)
  • 750GB WD Green Hard Drive
  • 300w PC Power and Cooling Power Supply
I also have a 47LM7600 TV as my computer monitor.

My method of installation is through the PXE network boot from my server which functions as a router, DNS, DHCP, and TFTP server.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

GraysonPeddie wrote:Hi, jeffh. I am in total support of PyDAW and all of your knowledge of DSP and plugins that you are making.

Can I make a suggestion? You might want to not let your discussions distract you. If you have e-mail notifications for monitoring the thread, you might want to turn it off and concentrate in your work. In my opinion, I don't think you have an attitude problem like the others who think you have. I think you are doing your best for standing up for yourself and I'm all in for that. Keep at it.

As for the rest of you, let's try and refrain from going off-topic. Even though I'm not a moderator, I'll try to do my part to keep the thread as civil as possible.
Thanks, I really appreciate that....
GraysonPeddie wrote: I will try it out PyDAW but I'm wondering about how to get PyDAW installed. I saw your PyDAW thread in the news section of the forum. I'll have a look as soon as I finish typing my post.
I have .deb packages for Ubuntu 12.04 (32 or 64 bit) Ubuntu 12.10(64 bit) and a source tarball for everyone else(including Debian users, the .debs probably won't work for Debian, but you can try them) on my sourceforge page here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmods ... rce=navbar

The source tarball just just a:

Code: Select all

cd plugins
make
make install  #<--As root
...kind of deal, but I've only tested it in Fedora 17... Let me know if you need any assistance or help with tracking down dependencies for non-Ubuntu/Fedora distros...
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Just cast my vote. I use Ardour 2.8.16 for stable audio recording, which is what I do most. For MIDI recording and editing, I usually use Rosegarden. I just recently discovered Hydrogen, which I am definitely going to use in the future for composing. I almost never use soft synths, but stick to real Hammond, real Moog, real anything. But for that reason I need MIDI to control some of the synths I have. I have been looking for a really lightweight MIDI playback program, that will slave to JACK transport, and just play back a MIDI file through MIDI out to my synths, so I can slave it to Ardour 2.8 until Ardour 3 gets stable. Until now I have slaved Rosegarden to Ardour through JACK, which works OK, but something more lightweight would be nice.

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.