Beginner - I want to move my songs from my piano to paper

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

smokinjo
Established Member

Beginner - I want to move my songs from my piano to paper

Post by smokinjo »

Hi

I have myself a Casio privia 3000. I've tried in the past to connect my piano to my computer, with ubuntu studio, but it did to work, and I mothballed the idea because I no longer had a computer to use.

I am once again ready to attack this problem, as I have a dedicated music area where my new computer will be hooked up to the piano.

As a newbie to the computer audio world is ubuntu studio still the best option to make things easier for me?

Or, might there be a better/easier way?

My first goal is to be able to move my recorded songs from my piano, an dget them on to a notation format that can be manipulated/tweaked.

Thanks

Joseph
nils
Established Member

Re: Beginner - I want to move my songs from my piano to paper

Post by nils »

After many years I came to the conclusion, that a MIDI recording is the best way.
Use https://ardour.org/ or even something smaller like http://www.midieditor.org/ and record it as midi.
Even if unfamiliar and inexperienced with the cumbersome way of displaying notes as "Piano Roll" , if you know the piece you recorded you will be able to easily tweak the recorded notes, cut, rearrange and re-record at your hearts content.

Sure, you could try to do it in Notation, try it with MuseScore, Rosegarden or even Lilypond midi output. But in the end this is all slow and the results do not sound as good. There is no musical gain.

As for printed notation, I consider that a separate step.
bentheass
Established Member

Post by bentheass »

The simplest way to accomplish what you want (assuming you haven't already bought an audio interface) is to connect the Casio to your computer with a USB cable. From a quick google search, it seems your model supports USB-MIDI. Now the computer can recognize the keyboard as a MIDI controller.
I personally think Ubuntu Studio is the easiest OS to start with and comes with Ardour installed. Record your compositions as MIDI and export those MIDI files to MuseScore. MuseScore will create the notation based on the MIDI file.

https://soundcloud.com/benjamindaass
https://www.thechurchofotherworldlysounds.com/
Mixbus32Cv9 on Xubuntu 20.04.6 with kernel version 5.15.0-91-lowlatency with 2nd Gen Scarlett 18i20 on a custom built box (Intel i5-11400F, 32 gigs DDR4, etc)

wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Hi Joseph,

as a beginner with music in computers, you *do* still know that when setting up a MIDI channel (for instance, in Ardour like already recommended), you also need to select an instrument in case you want to hear anything? MIDI wouldn't transport the sounds from your Casio piano, only the note on/off information, that's why it probably "didn't work" so far...

I think Ardour suggests "General MIDI synthesizer" by default which is okay if you just want to hear something, but if you want it to sound better, search for some sample software and libraries - my daughter for instance plays on her Yamaha Arius, but hears the Salamander Grand from https://sfzinstruments.github.io/pianos/salamander - that's what also is the output of any export (to audio) from Ardour.

For displaying these MIDI notes tho as a score, MuseScore was also already mentioned and it is great for that.

Hope that helps,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
smokinjo
Established Member

Post by smokinjo »

Hello all,

Last month, you all gave me a few ideas. After reading a little, Muse Score seems to do what I am hoping.

I have just installed Ubuntu Studio

Hopefully it will have what is needed, and it also has Muse Score.

I run the software. I also have my piano plugged in via the midi plug in.

Where can I tell if my piano is visible to my computer?

The only video I found about muse score that talks about this it I needed to look at preferences, under I/O. I did see an option under audio engine: restart audio and midi devices. This si the section where in the video seemed ot be listed the pianos. For me, nothing.

I did load up ardour. While ardour actually saw my keyboard as a casio midi source, and leds were fleshing as I was playing, I have no idea how to listen to what I might have recorded:)

I still need to figure out how to get muse score to see my piano

Thanks for your help.

Joseph
fraslo
Established Member

Post by fraslo »

Hi,

start Carla, click on "patchbay" and check for Musescore and your keyboard. Now connect them using the mouse. If Musescore is not showing up, check Musescores input/output settings.

Musescore further has a button to start listening for MIDI input.

HTH

Frank
smokinjo
Established Member

Post by smokinjo »

Hi Frank,

I was able to find Carla and in the patch bay window, nothing is there.

I was able to confirm that midi input is indeed enabled.

When you say to look at musescores' settings. They are default, I presume.

But, I habve 4 options:
pulse audio
port audio
alsa audio
jack audio server

It is currently clicked on as jack audio server, Is this sit right/best choice?

There is also a button that says: restart audio and midi devices,

Thanks for your assistance.

Joseph
smokinjo
Established Member

Post by smokinjo »

I just watched the video again on how to use a midi keyboard to enter my notes/music.

I noticed that they are using port audio selection. The midi input drop down menu is supposed to list my keyboard, at least according to the example in the video.

So, MuseScore does not even see my keyboard.

Thanks for any ideas on how to get my keyboard visible in Muse score.

Joseph
smokinjo
Established Member

Post by smokinjo »

I started up my computer again today and went through the ideas that you guys have given me.

Musescore still has nothing listed under midi input.

But, under carla, I saw something new. I see a box representing musescore. There is a midi in, and midi out, left and right.

There ar ealso two system boxes:

I still to not see my piano anywhere.

Thanks