Ardour Linux Audio - 2022 still no useful pitch correction plugin like Melodyne available ?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Zonk
Established Member

Ardour Linux Audio - 2022 still no useful pitch correction plugin like Melodyne available ?

Post by Zonk »

I'm a Linux user since 2009 and I used Ardour from 2015 to 2018.

As a singer pitch correction - and even more pitch control - it is indispensable for me so I changed to ReaperLinux in 2018 for this reason. Reaper includes ReaTune which is really good to my ears. Of course you can do more with Melodyne but for me it is sufficient.

As an old bandtape analog user I really love Ardour because of its analogue desk lock and workflow and I was sad to leave Ardour because of this issue.

I tried to use Melodyne in Ardour under wine but it was a lot of work that never worked properly. Some Wine versions supported Melodyne - some did not. Some Melodyne versions worked - some did not. When I got it to work, it often crashed suddenly. After a year of trying I gave up (2018).

Is there anyone here who has experience with this and can help? :?:
Last edited by Zonk on Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Re: Ardour Linux Audio - 2022 still no pitch correction plugin available ?

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

Can't help you with Melodyne, but have you tried GSnap?

https://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm

It's not open source, but won't cost a thing. Came out ages ago originally, but I still see it regularly included in best pitch correction plugin lists.
Zonk
Established Member

Post by Zonk »

Hello WforWoollyMammoth,

thank you for your reply! GSnap is not comparable to Reatune and Melodyne. It just corrects the pitch automatically (not even in real-time) like some Linux tools (Autotalent, Zita-AT and so on). They have in common that you cannot edit each note by hand. They are nice toys but you can't work with them seriously.
autostatic
Established Member

Re: Ardour Linux Audio - 2022 still no useful pitch correction plugin like Melodyne available ?

Post by autostatic »

Zonk wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:44 am thank you for your reply! GSnap is not comparable to Reatune and Melodyne. It just corrects the pitch automatically (not even in real-time) like some Linux tools (Autotalent, Zita-AT and so on).
Zita-AT or its LV2 counterpart fat1.lv2 are definitely real-time! But I think you were probably referring to GSnap with that remark. Never tried GSnap so can't tell if it's real-time or not.
Zonk wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:44 amThey have in common that you cannot edit each note by hand.
With fat1.lv2 this is possible, ok, not in fat1.lv2 itself but the plugin can be automated. And I've done it with Zita-AT1 too in the past, it was feasible but a lot work because Zita-AT1 had to be automated through MIDI. I reckon this is easier with Melodyne or ReaTune but it can be done with FOSS tools too.
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Zonk wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:44 am Hello WforWoollyMammoth,

thank you for your reply! GSnap is not comparable to Reatune and Melodyne. It just corrects the pitch automatically (not even in real-time) like some Linux tools (Autotalent, Zita-AT and so on). They have in common that you cannot edit each note by hand. They are nice toys but you can't work with them seriously.
GSnap works as a plugin in real-time and it has a MIDI input function that can be used for editing each note by hand (I'm not sure if this works as intended on all Linux audio hosts). I'm not sure what you are talking about. Did you try it out and just found out that it doesn't perform as well as you wished?
Zonk
Established Member

Re: Ardour Linux Audio - 2022 still no useful pitch correction plugin like Melodyne available ?

Post by Zonk »

Hello autostatic, hello WforWoollyMammoth,

with Melodyne and ReaTune you can edit pitch of every recorded note graphically with the mouse. The plugins you mentioned can only be edited via the detour of midi input - not directly and fine-tuned (like Melodyne or ReaTune). It is almost impossible to work professionally with these tools.
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

I see. You are looking for a comparable level of convenience for the task as on Win / Mac.

I don't know what percentage of audio professionals still use autotune in auto mode vs doing it manually melodyne style these days. More and more probably do it Melodyne-style, but I think just using the auto mode in autotune was rather common for years.

Recording multiple takes and stitching together the final lead vocal track is an option.

However - here's a thread that discusses running JSFX Reaper plugins in other hosts / DAWs:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=24295

Maybe that is of help to you. If I remember correctly, I didn't get the thing running myself.
Zonk
Established Member

Post by Zonk »

Hello WforWoollyMammoth,

"I see. You are looking for a comparable level of convenience for the task as on Win / Mac."

Yes, why should Linux audio stay behind Win/Mac Audio? Linux audio is in the meantime at least as good (if not better) than Win/Mac audio with the exception of this matter - which is necessary for professional (vocal) audio production.

The "Melodyne-style" is far more important for studio production than Autotune because it is possible to edit each little piece of vocal individually and you can leave out some parts from editing if you want.

Autotune is more an automatic algorithm that completely corrects incorrect intonation in (almost) real-time. Helpful for singers who cannot intonate properly - especially when performing live. So there are different tasks.

* Thank you for the JFSX thread - this is interesting! But ReaTune is a Cockos (not JFSX) plugin - you can use it only with reaper.

Zonk
Last edited by Zonk on Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

I have nothing to add about autotune and melodyne.
But I want chime in to say that "Melodyne not available" is the fault of melodyne, and not of Linux.
Linux is not behind in audio production, melodyne hasn't compiled their software for linux.
Zonk
Established Member

Post by Zonk »

That's true! 2 years ago I asked Celemony/München to do a Linux-Melodyne but they were not interested. :(
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

I did read that it is possible to run Melodyne on Linux with wine but I never could
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

https://github.com/mika314/melonix it's not a plugin (I hope it will some day)

Melodyne works fine for me with Wine, but it works "offline", because ARA is not supported via bridges. And Ardour doesn't support ARA too. Afaik only the Reaper knows about ARA on Linux, Waveform support's it on Win/Mac but i'm not sure about Linux.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Interesting...

And all this time I thought 'professional' singers didn't need autotuning... :P :lol:

If you are working professionally as a singer autotune shouldn't need to be in the toolkit... :wink:
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

GMaq wrote: I thought 'professional' singers didn't need autotuning.
Just because Sadie barks in tune doesn't mean that every dog can.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.