Rosegarden issue -- locks up system

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

IronRod
Established Member

Rosegarden issue -- locks up system

Post by IronRod »

I got myself into a bind. I have been getting familiar with RoseGarden -- mostly working okay but still definitely a newbie (and still getting familiar with Linux). I've changed a setting (Sequencer timing source) and it now locks up my system whenever I open RoseGarden. Is there a way to edit the settings from the command line without running RoseGarden?

What I tried
I tried removing/installing RoseGarden. I uninstalled and then tried 'apt-get --purge autoremove rosegarden' but it did not find anything after installing. I don't quite understand how a remove/install didn't change this setting back to its default -- since, in theory, it should have removed everything related to the app.

How I got here
I noticed the warning icon in the lower-right which (clicking upon) states "System timer resolution is too low". So, following some other info:
1. I installed the low-latency kernel (5.13.0-27)
2. Set CPU to "performance" for all four cores

Code: Select all

echo performance | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
3. Rebooted.

The warning continued to display. So, going to the FAQ, I found the entry regarding this warning and changed the Sequencer timing source (https://www.rosegardenmusic.com/wiki/Fr ... o_low_mean) to 'HR Timer'. What appears to be happening is that it is grabbing the available cycles and not allowing the GUI to get any attention. So, if I could edit the setting (in some settings file or whatever) before running RoseGarden, maybe this could be resolved.
bluebell
Established Member

Re: Rosegarden issue -- locks up system

Post by bluebell »

Edit

~/.config/rosegardenmusic/Rosegarden.conf
and set

timer=(auto)

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

IronRod
Established Member

Post by IronRod »

@bluebell Thank you; great answer. Making that edit was exactly what I wanted.

And I learned that TimeShift defaults to exclude home directory; it is a system backup facility, not user data (by default). So, I would have had to go to my data backup to restore the previous .config settings. Learning something about Linux almost every day. :D

But: I find it interesting that the uninstall of RoseGarden (v19.12) doesn't delete it's related .config directory. That is something that always bugged me under Windows; i.e., software that does not remove all trace of itself when it is uninstalled and leaves trash laying around the system. The facility is certainly there to support it and there is no reason not to do so. But maybe there is something about Linux 'uninstall' that doesn't support that ability well?
Last edited by IronRod on Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

It might be worth filing a bug report for Rosegarden. Ted is pretty quick at resolving issues these days.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Hi!
So, I would have had to go to my data backup to restore the previous .config settings.
You could also delete ~/.config/rosegardenmusic/Rosegarden.conf to reset Rosegarden settings to default.
But: I find it interesting that the uninstall of RoseGarden (v19.12) doesn't delete it's relate .config directory. That is something that always bugged me under Windows; i.e., software that does not remove all trace of itself when it is uninstalled and leaves trash laying around the system. The facility is certainly there to support it and there is no reason not to do so. But maybe there is something about Linux 'uninstall' that doesn't support that ability well?
The rosegarden installer doesn't create the user configuration file. On the contrary, it is created by Rosegarden the first time you launch it. I think this is true for most if not all programs so, in general, you can safely delete the configuration file in your home to start from a default config. The next time you launch it it will be created again.

Accordingly, the uninstaller doesn't delete users configuration files or directories. It is true that you can end up with files created by software you don't have even installed but as they are in your home and conveniently hidden they don't hurt.

Anyway, a user configuration locking up the system is a bug, as folderol suggests.
IronRod
Established Member

Post by IronRod »

Pablo wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:16 am The rosegarden installer doesn't create the user configuration file. On the contrary, it is created by Rosegarden the first time you launch it.
That actually makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that.
IronRod
Established Member

Post by IronRod »

folderol wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:14 am It might be worth filing a bug report for Rosegarden. Ted is pretty quick at resolving issues these days.
I'm not sure I'd consider this a bug -- but you might be right. In this instance, a user change to the settings (and, thus, to the underlying Rosegarden.conf) resulted in the app hogging the majority of the available cycles. (That is my belief based upon what I observed.) In this situation, I think the correct solution would be to direct the user to restart the system and then edit the specific setting in the Rosegarden.conf as @bluebell directed -- or delete the file -- before starting the app again.

Maybe this should be in the "FAQ" somewhere -- and, maybe it already is and I didn't notice it. As a retired software engineer, I'm not sure what "correction" could be made in the app to deal with this situation since it was (I believe) actually running, just in a way that prevented me from going back in and changing that setting back.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

It is actually a long-standing bug. I thought it had been resolved some years ago, but either it wasn't or it has somehow come back :(
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}