M audio problems x runs.

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Alwaysanewb
Established Member

M audio problems x runs.

Post by Alwaysanewb »

Running ubuntu 12.04 64 I just installed a m audio delta 1010 and It installed alright the computer emmediatly reconized it, and all the channels. Even the midi is reconized, that's not the problem. It just it's getting lots of xruns.

The interface I ran before was an art duel pre which to tell the truth is an awesome little interface. It ran at 16bit 44100 at 1024 buffer rate with 23.2 milisecond latency and you would have to leave the system on all night to get an xrun. I just got the m audio 1010 and it's running at 96000 Hrz I'm not sure how many bit it's running I'm guessing 24 It's running at a 1024 buffer rate with a 10.7 millisecond latency and it seems to be getting xruns more than it should and I figured it would be running at a lot lower buffer rate with a lot lower latency. I have 5 xruns right now and I don't know if it's getting them while I am actually recording but it gets them when i do everything else opening programs and such.

The rig i'm running is pretty decent an amd phenon 960 4 gigs or ram a 1 gig video card. Is there anyway to reduce the xruns and latency? Should I just go ahead and try lowering the buffer rate? Would more ram help? I have heard that these cars would be getting 2 miliseconds latency on much lower spec systems than mine. Are there some settings i should be checking out or changing?
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Re: M audio problems x runs.

Post by Alwaysanewb »

I Just figured it would be better with different sample rates because one was a usb and one was a pci. I could lwer the sample rate down too I guess. I am running the rt kernal? Would it be better to switch to the low latency kernal?
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

I have an nividia geforce 210 been pretty much bullet proof on this kernal. I just installed xfce and that seems to of done the trick with the xruns.

Some more questions though.

1.If I install themes on here will that effect perfomace? Is it the same gk3 based themes? or would I be installing something different?

2. Will all the terminal commands and ppas and compiling from source still all be the same and can I install all the same programs on here and I would of with the unity desktop? I know it's still the same distro but it's linux so you never know about these things. I am one of the only people that like unity but if it has to go it's gone.

3. When I installed the kx repositorys could I of just installed your themes and tweaks and would of it installed xfce and your theme on top of it. I installed the kxstudio distro stand alone and it was a bit buggy but much prettier is there anyway to get that on this set up with the same perfomance.

4. Do you know anything else I can do to get better perfomance? 10.7ms latency might be fine for me i'm not sure but if I can get better I would like to try so if you know any other tips that would be great.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Alwaysanewb wrote:4. Do you know anything else I can do to get better perfomance? 10.7ms latency might be fine for me i'm not sure but if I can get better I would like to try so if you know any other tips that would be great.
http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php ... figuration
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

Thanks I've been using the propritary drivers for the card so that's not the problem its more just a lack of knowlege. I intalled lxde and everything even seems to work better with that. i'll go ahead install the kxstudio default settings. it seems to be running pretty good at 512 buffer size with 5.3 ms latnency now. Thanks for the help

One last quick question i installed the audio packages when I installed kstudio. To install the default settings is it sudo apt-get install kxstudio-default-settings?