J Hendrix Fuzz Face

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

Re: J Hendrix Fuzz Face

Post by tramp »

GMaq wrote:Will these be available for the MOD duo at some point? It would be great to have so many classic fuzz/distortion choices. Any chance for overdrives like the BOSS Turbo Overdrive?
Hi

Well, it's not only about fuzz/distortion, the last check-in include the Colorsound Overdrive pedal. The nice thing with this one is, that you could drive the high and low separate.
For the case you've missed my post on LAU/LAD I've made some time ago, here is the list of the pedals I've emulated and committed to our repository allready:
  1. Fuzz Face JH1
    Fuzz Face Fuller Mods
    Fuzz Face Roger Mayer
    Foxey Lady
    Colorsound Tonebender
    Sustainer+Muff (Big Muff Pi)
    Screamig Bird
    Hornet
    High Frequency Brightener
    LPB-1 Booster
    Hogs Foot
    Ruiner
    Fat Furry Freak
    Dallas Rangemaster
    Colorsound Overdrive
I'm pretty sure, some of them will made it into the MOD, but I leave this task to Gian and team.
They have write access to the guitarix repository, but surely they have a lot other stuff to do for now, by realize the MOD Duo.

Steve Poskitt currently working on some classic tube amp models with the ampsim toolkit, Markus works on the new GUI, which will as well change all the LV2 UI's, so you could expect a couple of noise from guitarix this year, in and outside of the MOD. :D

regards
hermann
On the road again.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du4xm2IG53I

maybe tapiir can do that already or delayrama.. this sounds wild though!
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

funkmuscle wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du4xm2IG53I

You could try Digital Delay.
On the road again.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

tramp wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du4xm2IG53I

You could try Digital Delay.
Digital delay can create the effect at the start of the video?
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

set delay (bpm) to 30 and tact to 1/4 note, feedback and level to 90. Play a bit with the feedback and level settings.
On the road again.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

tramp wrote:set delay (bpm) to 30 and tact to 1/4 note, feedback and level to 90. Play a bit with the feedback and level settings.
sweet, thanx man!
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Frank Carvalho wrote::D Dallas Rangemaster. Another classic from the 60'ies! Will try!
Colorsound Overdrive. Never tried that one before, but I will.
It's not the same as the Colorsound ToneBender, which is a fuzz and a big favourite of mine.

/Frank
After playing around with several fuzz schematics, I come to a favorite of mine, it's the Vintage Fuzz Master by Devi Ever :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG75vAazeYQ

I put in some small mods to suit me even more:

and well, that's my favorite (for now, maybe tomorrow it's a other one)
On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I've reworked all guitarix Fuzz plugs (gx and LV2 format) and implement proper clipping stages now. This solved as well the over-loud behave of some of this plugs.

You can get the new versions from guitarix git repository.

regards
hermann
On the road again.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Thumbs up! I will look forward to check them all out.

/Frank

Edit: Could you be more specific as to how I can download and compile these changes?
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I've changed the clipping algorithm again, now it use a 1-dimensional function table for linear interpolation ( like we do for the tube emulations).
It's implemented in the LV2 Fuzz plugs. For the guitarix plugs currently only the FuzzFace use it. Will port the rest of the plugs later this month.

regards
hermann

To download and try this changes you need to clone our git repository:

Code: Select all

git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/guitarix/git guitarix-git
cd ./guitarix-git/trunk
./waf configure --prefix=/usr  --includeresampler --convolver-ffmpeg --optimization
./waf build
and install as root (su or sudo)

Code: Select all

./waf install
surely you need all the dependency's installed (-dev packages) which may be a bit of try and error during the configure step, if you never before have build guitarix by yourself.
On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

tramp wrote:To download and try this changes you need to clone our git repository:
Looks like you didn't need to build it by yourself any-more, if you are using the KxStudio repository's. The most recent git version, as well the latest GxVoxTonebender (MOD UI added by falktx) is in there already.
On the road again.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

That rules. I will now accept my KXStudio updates and hear what happens!

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Hi

Yes, this totally changed the behaviour of all fuzz plugins in my test Ardour project, and now they sound similar to the original ones. Only exception is the Vox Tonebender LV2, and I guess this is because it hasn't been added to the main branch yet? I haven't tried directly in Guitarix yet, but that is my next step.

/Frank
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

I have a package called gxvoxtonebender, and it is installed, but it seems to be the version without clipping, and the GUI is generic.

/Frank
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

@Frank
When I remember right you've downloaded and build the gxvoxtonebender once from the guitarix site, then, you need to go to the source and run make uninstall from there to remove this older version. Depending on, if you've installed it as root or as user, you need to run it with the same privileges then during install.

try
lv2ls | grep gx_vox
to find out if you've multiple versions of the gxvoxtonebender installed.
On the road again.